Saturday, August 12, 2006

Things That Make You Go, "HUH?"

Common sense is not so common. ~ Voltaire

I was checking out the news today, and came across an article entitled Teen Arrested in Montana After Mom's Body Found in Freezer and I had to read it, of course...

But two things made me scratch my head in wonder:

When officers entered the Hauck home they found a bloody mattress, shells from a .22-caliber rifle and a trail of blood leading to the body in the freezer.

Well okay, the killer's an idiot, clearly... except, check this out:

Family members said Jeremy Hauck planned on attending Weber State University in Utah to study forensic science. "He wanted to be a crime scene investigator," Umphrey said.

What!?!

Even I -- merely an avid NCIS, The Closer, Criminal Minds fan -- would know better than to leave a crime scene looking that obvious. But this guy wanted to be a CSI!

Sorry. Just mystified me that criminals are really that stupid. It was almost (but not quite) as ridiculous as this guy:

Inmate signs real name to bomb hoaxes

I'm telling you, if I ever wrote a character doing that, I'd never get published. As always, truth really is stranger (and stupider, apparently) than fiction.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm constantly amazed at the stupidity of people. Your examples are like the idiot I heard about who paid for his drugs using a check. *g*