Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Chugging Along!

We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit." — Aristotle

It's HOT. It finally cooled down (I use that term loosely - I imagine it's about 80 degrees - but compared to 95, that's cool)in my bedroom (and I had fans in two of the three windows) at about 4:30 a.m. I would guess that I got maybe four hours of fitful sleep last night. So if I babble, please bear with me.

If you look at my word counter for TPOF, you'll notice a huge leap in number. I did quite a bit yesterday because my mom had "craft time" with my daughter and freed up a few hours. Yay, me!

I'm still stuck on SBCM a little. I've discovered what my problem is, though, and that's a start. I've alway written romance, and the focus is 100% on the relationship between the H/H and every scene is used to advance that. A mystery is a little different.

Yes, I have to advance the relationship - it is, after all, primarily a romance. BUT the mystery is still there, and in the last ten thousand words, I've all but forgotten that I need to drop clues and have my H/H do a little investigating. Sure, their relationship is moving along at a good clip, but there's this little matter of a murder to be solved.

So that needs a lot of work.

I do know that I need to finish the current edits on TPOF to work through the plot changes I made, but I recognize the need to do it at least one more time (hopefully only once, but we'll have to see), probably using Maass's "Breakout Novel" workbook.

Today is supposed to be even hotter than yesterday (and we broke some records yesterday, so all I have to say is "Oh. Boy."), so the DD will probably play in her wading pool outside of the basement window. That will give me time for some more work - probably on Camilla (TPOF), but maybe on SBCM or a short story. At least I'm writing.

Still waiting for word on my submissions that are out there. We're at almost five months for WW and 45 days on my Wild Rose sub. Waiting stinks.

How are you? (Just don't say "cool", or I may have to hunt you down...)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WTG on the writing!!! That you can concentrate in that heat is amazing to me. I'd just want to sit in front of the fan and do nothing.