Thursday, August 31, 2006

Makeup and Meme's

I am not quite sure how writing changes things, but I know that it does. It is indirect--like the trails of earthworms aerating the earth. It is not always deliberate--like the tails of glowing dust dragged by comets. ~ Erica Jong

Okay. I guess I'm using photo #1 for now, until I can hie my behind (and the rest of me) to Glamourshots for a "real" picture that'll look nothing like me so that folks who read my stuff won't recognize me when they see me and will cringe in shock (like I do when I see pix of my fave authors as signings or wherever) when they see candid's of me and wonder who I used for my body double.

I swear I had to use a spatula to scrape all the makeup off of my face last night... yuck. I'm going makeup free today to let my poor skin breathe.

Anyway...

Time for a meme -- got this this from Charity's blog -- I'm loving that it's book related, so I imagine that you can see this with great regularity on my blog... I'm actually using last weeks questions because they don't post early enough for me to use this weeks.

Booking Through Thursday



  1. Have you ever wanted to travel to a place described in a book?

    Absolutey. Nora Roberts makes Ireland seem idyllic in "THE IRISH TRILOGY" - Jewels of the Sun, Tears of the Moon, and Heart of the Sea. The countryside is beautiful and clear in my head, and the characters so real. It made me think I could go there, find that town with that pub and those people and greet them as friends.


  2. Have you ever ACTUALLY travelled to a place because of the way it was described in a book?

    Not yet... but I'm still hoping to get to Ireland.


  3. And if so, did it live up to the expectations, feelings, emotions you expected from the book? Did you feel like Anne was going to come romping around the corner of Green Gables? Was it as if Jo was upstairs at Orchard House, scribbling on a story? Or was it just a museum, or just a city street? Like Abbey Road without the Beatles?

    See above -- haven't been there yet. BUT, I did walk the Freedom Trail in Boston and was disappointed -- probably because it's in the middle of a really yucky, big city and that somehow kills the feeling of 1776. I loved the graveyard, though -- where Samuel Adams (the man, not the beer) is buried and the real Mother Goose!



And now I need to get to writing, because I got this great idea for another short story and wrote a bunch of longhand pages last night that I need to key in, plus the rest of the story is banging up against my brain and sure to cause a headache if I don't get it out soon.

Have a great day!

3 comments:

Allie Boniface said...

Ha ha - I finally get to see what you look like! Posting pics online is so weird, isn't it, esp. when you've developed this whole persona behind a name and then you wonder what your online friends think you really look like...

I know I'm late, but I like #3 the best. Looks most "you."

And I always pictured you with long dark hair, so at least I got that right!

Marianne Arkins said...

Allie,

No long hair for much longer! I'm donating it to Locks of Love when I have ten inches to spare ... and I'm almost there! Yikes!

Judy said...

I'm with Alison... it's good to be able to put a face with my friend! I'm different, I know, but I like the one with the dog. Esp. since so many of your books include "critters," it's not skirting the edge to include that. However, number one and number three do look more "professional."

I had some "glamourshots" done (not really, but a friend hosted a make-up party and had a photographer friend come in with props and do pictures. It was fun) and if I can find the proofs I'll scan them and put them up.