Thursday, August 24, 2006

... and Reminiscing...

"Art is a moral passion married to entertainment. Moral passion without entertainment is propaganda, and entertainment without moral passion is television." --- Rita Mae Brown

Okay, with that said, I have to admit to something:

Sleuth TV has A-Team re-runs. And I'm thrilled.

Obviously my love of romantic comedy is deeply rooted in my television habits as a teen: General Hospital, Days of our Lives, M*A*S*H, and the A-Team. After all, isn't romantic comedy just soap meets sitcom?

I know that I am a little warped when hubby comes home from work and announces that, on the other big highway north there traffic was backed up because a full tanker truck overturned and dumped its load.

Its load of raw sewage.

There were front loaders there to clean it up (and, I'm thinking, they didn't get paid enough... whatever they were paid, it was NOT enough for this job).

I was in the middle of writing a paragraph for one of my WIPs (yes, I can occasionally listen and write at the same time) and so jotted at the top of my page:

How can I use a truck full of raw sewage overturning in a story?

I think I'll save it for my next NaNo book, since the last one was so wacky. I imagine this one will be as well.

Had some good ideas for my murder mystery -- Once I get up to the murder, I should be able to *mostly* use the 60 or so pages I've already written (with the exception that my heroine will have a house to stay in). Thank goodness. I didn't want to dump it all.

So, back to my original topic, what are the shows you remember as a teen? I can recall watching the last episode of M*A*S*H and crying like a baby. I watched Cosby, of course. And Cheers. Even farther back, I can recall goofy stuff like The Bob Newhart Show and the original Saturday Night Live with great comics like Chevy Chase and Jim Belucci (and I probably spelled his name wrong).

I didn't watch many dramas, but did get sucked into to Dallas when J.R. got shot -- the funny thing was, I didn't watch it before then, but had to watch the season premier to see who did it (of course, I didn't know who she was in the vast scheme of things, but by golly, I knew when everyone else did). My step-father had a bumper sticker on his car that said "I shot J.R.".

I loved "Battle of the Planets" (Japanese anime at its finest IMHO) and stayed up late to watch "Friday Night Videos". I was a freak about "Solid Gold" and dreamed of being a Solid Gold Dancer when I was all growed up.

And, yes, I even watched The Dukes of Hazzard.

C'mon, give it up. What were some of your favorite shows?

5 comments:

Ceri Hebert said...

I have no shame...
-Dukes of Hazzard (had pics of John Schneider all over my walls)
-Battlestar Galactica (Dirk Benedict-need I say more?)
-Happy Days
-A Team (Dirk Benedict-need I say more?)
-Dynasty
-Dallas
-General Hospital (I have the 45 record of General Hospi-tale. wonder if its worth anything)
-Friday Night Videos (though it was hard to stay awake for it)
-Saturday Night Live (ditto)
Mork & Mindy (at least til Mork gave birth to Mirth)
-Cosby

I'm sure there's more, but I can't think of any right now.

I didn't watch the news so I missed the story about the overturned truck. I hope there weren't any homes nearby. oh, I'd have to take a vacation until that odor cleared. Ugh!

ogythdk-ooogy gooey yucky turtles help dress kangaroos

Ceri Hebert said...

Oh yeh, The Muppet Show

Anonymous said...

Ceri pretty much covered my list except I was also hooked on the Hardy Boys/Nancy Drew Hour (or whatever it was called).

As for the truck full of raw sewage, maybe you could kill somebody with it. *g*

Allie Boniface said...

Let's see...

M.A.S.H., Cheers, Cosby Show, Happy Days & Laverne & Shirley when I was a kid, and...um...the precursor to every single teen drama that's clogging the channels these days: Beverly Hills 90210.

MJFredrick said...

Dukes of Hazzard, also had John Schneider posters

Battlestar Galactica, but I liked Richard Hatch

SWAT, Barnaby Jones, Charlie's Angels, Dallas, Falcon Crest, Hardy Boys, Happy Days and Laverne and Shirley.

Oh, and MASH! It was on three times a day in the summer, and I watched it most of the time!