Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Super Choices

I feel about airplanes the way I feel about diets. It seems to me that they are wonderful things for other people to go on. ~ Jean Kerr

I finished editing my next story with The Wild Rose Press yesterday, with the exception of the last page -- the story builds up to this moment, and the editor believes that I let the reader down a bit with how it's handled. Honestly, I agree with her. But because it is such an important scene, I want to make certain I handle it right. So I set it aside to work on when I'm nice and fresh.

Several folks have asked me whether or not all of my short stories will eventually be available in a print anthology. I have no idea -- but think it would be a great idea. I'll have to pose it to Rhonda and RJ.

A couple days ago, my best friend since forever (we met in ninth grade -- 1980, YIKES!) who lives in California sent me a card. I'd sent her an email bemoaning the fact that circumstances arose to stop our attempt to move out to Washington state. I haven't seen Cathy in six years and miss her terribly. The card had a picture of an adorable dog on the front, and inside said, "If I could fetch you, I totally would."

I don't fly anywhere on vacation because I can't (all right won't) take my dog, and she's never been boarded. She's big, so would have to take the trip in the baggage hold, and I've read the mortality figures for that. I'd buy her a seat for herself if I could, but people are funny about dogs. I'm telling you, I should start my own "pet friendly" airline. Anyway...

Some time ago, I read a question that pertains to this situation (sort of, bear with me) and I present it to you as my QUESTION OF THE DAY:

What superpower would you choose and why?

I think I'd like the ability to teleport myself anywhere in an instant. I thought about super strength or speed or bouncing bullets off my chest (or my magic armbands, LOL) and I contemplated the "Heroes" powers. Some are pretty cool -- and, of course if I could I'd be Peter Petrelli and just absorb them all, but that isn't an option here (because I said so, that's why).

If I could teleport anywhere, I could go visit folk or places with ease. No worrying about lost baggage or missing flights or crashing planes. And I could meet for a few hours every week or whatever, so wouldn't have to worry about the dog. I seriously think teleporting would be an awesome power to have.

What about you?

===============================

Incidentally, the votes on eating in bed yesterday:

Those who do frequently: 5
Those who never do: 4
Those who do occasionally: 1

So it seems eating in bed is more common than I thought!

5 comments:

anno said...

Oh, please, give me the ability to be in multiple places at once, so I can exercise, shop, write, read, sew, and vacuum all at the same time. It's the only way I'll ever get everything done.

Shauna said...

Oh, I like the idea of teleporting. Then I could actually take a vacation...for a few hours. Paris, Greece, Australia, Costa Rica, Hawaii - here I come!

Anonymous said...

I've always wanted to be able to teleport, too. It would be SO handy!

Allie Boniface said...

Actually, I'd like to be invisible at will. I always say "I would have loved to be a fly on the wall for *that* conversation."

Hmm...maybe that means I'm a snoop. Or maybe it would just help my writing immensely...I could go to all those really cool, top-secret places and listen in on people without them ever knowing!

groovyoldlady said...

Teleporting would save gas, that's fer sure!