Wednesday, May 09, 2007

I'm Excited!

Keep away from people who belittle your ambitions. Small people always do that, but the really great make you feel that you, too, can become great. - Mark Twain

Every other time I've had a release from The Wild Rose Press, it's not been posted until eight o'clock or later. So imagine my surprise to find that "Miles From You" is already available for purchase! I'm tickled...

Of course, I can't seem to settle my brain down at all now, so I'll just babble (my DH would say that I do this very well).

Charity has a post on her blog about a dialogue with her kids that made me crack up. Check it out.

This is my favorite comic strip ever. I have one from the Sunday paper cut out and stuck on my wall.

My DD is learning Spanish. So am I. Okay, so I know a little (I grew up in California, you learn some by osmosis) and know basic pronunciations, but still... it's fun teaching her and learning as well. BUT, do you know how hard it is to find a reasonably priced foreign language curriculum for her age? Sheesh... why do we wait until high school to teach our kids a different language? By then it's almost too late for them to be fluent. I took three years of French, and remember almost nothing. She'll learn Latin, too. But, for now... Spanish.

Along with striving to meet my MayNoWriMo goal for the day yesterday, I turned to my novella and opted to edit the pogees out of it (how do you spell "pogee" and is it even a word?). Instead of increasing the word count, I decided I want to edit out about 3500 words and bring it down to a miniature rose size for The Wild Rose Press. I think I can do so without affecting the content. So far I've deleted about 600 words. It's painful.

I've discovered something interesting about squirrels and chipmunks. The squirrels will sit on the feeder (or on the ground below) and eat and eat and eat... for an hour or more. The chipmunks will scurry to the feeder, fill their cheeks and scurry back. They are endlessly entertaining to watch. Who needs TV when you have wildlife?

Anyway, I've spent enough time blogging this morning, and need to go update my website. Have a wonderful day! I will -- it's going to be EIGHTY DEGREES!! Woo!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I used to love watching the squirrels try to get food out of our feeders at our old house. We don't have so many here, so the entertainment value is pretty much gone. We had one pole with a feeder on it that we'd grease up with Vaseline (to keep the squirels from climbing it). They'd leap halfway up the pole, then slooooowly slide back down. They were persistent little buggers. Too funny!

Marianne Arkins said...

Tori,

I actually feed my rodent population -- it keeps them off the really good food in the bird feeders and out of my garden. They're a hoot to watch, though. We have three chipmunks who all have decidely different personalities.

Alice said...

Hi Marianne, just wanted to let you know that the review for Miles From You is up! Lovely story. :)