Sunday, May 13, 2007

Happy Mother's Day

Where would we be without our Mothers?

A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie. ~ Tenneva Jordan

My mom is stubborn and taught me to persevere.

Sweater, n.: garment worn by child when its mother is feeling chilly. ~ Ambrose Bierce

My mom loves her children more than herself and made sacrifices for us that she wouldn't have had to do otherwise. She gave up her own life so we could have ours.

Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body. ~ Elizabeth Stone

My mom told me I would never understand the love a mother has for her children until I had my own. She was right.

But then, she's been right about a lot of things.

“When you are a mother, you are never really alone in your thoughts. A mother always has to think twice, once for herself and once for her child.” - Sophia Loren

Happy Mother's Day, Mom.

I love you!

6 comments:

anno said...

Your quotes and comments are just perfect. Happy Mother's Day!

Alice said...

I echo anno. Happy Mother's Day!

Melissa McClone said...

Love the quotes. A perfect way to start my day!

Happy Mother's Day, Marianne! Hope you have a great day!!!

Anonymous said...

What wonderful quotes and thoughts, Maria! I especially love this one:

"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body." ~ Elizabeth Stone

Happy Mother's Day!!

Kathy

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's
Day everyone. Hope it's a good one. I know mine is. Those are great quotes.

Anonymous said...

I love the Elizabeth Stone quote. It reminds me of a verse from Three Women, a radio play by Sylvia Plath, about three women and their experience with childbearing:

How long can my hands
Be a bandage to his hurt, and my words
Bright birds in the sky, consoling, consoling?
It is a terrible thing
To be so open: it is as if my heart
Put on a face and walked into the world.

(1962)