Thursday, May 10, 2007

The Day After

Whatever your sex or position, life is a battle in which you are to show your pluck, and woe be to the coward. Whether passed on a bed of sickness or a tented field, it is ever the same fair play and admits no foolish distinction. Despair and postponement are cowardice and defeat. Men were born to succeed, not to fail. - Henry David Thoreau

Yesterday burned me out. I didn't write at all, though I did manage to edit about twenty pages of my novella. Mostly, yesterday was all about promotion. I'm trying to see what works and what doesn't in preparation of actually having a novel to promote. My DH asked when he was going to be able to retire -- tongue in cheek. Then he asked when I was going to have a novel published -- this time in all seriousness. He's finally getting excited about my writing, so it was a refreshing conversation, a conversation that started by my telling him that my latest story "Miles From You" was in the top ten overall sales at The Wild Rose Press. Thanks to you...

Alice wrote up a nice review yesterday of the story, both on her blog at at TWRP. She's been my biggest fan lately and I appreciate it more than I can say. So, thanks, Alice!

This blog is a little late today, because I forced myself to sleep in until 5 a.m. I know... shocking, but true. Then I had to make coffee and put the bird feeders out. Yesterday, I forgot to watch the time in the morning, and since I work in the basement I can't tell when it gets light outside, so I forgot to put the feeders out until after six a.m. (I have to wait until it's full light, or the bear out back takes them out -- he already got them once this year when I fudged and put them out at the crack of dawn). I had a tree full of birds, waiting: finches, chickadees, titmice, woodpeckers and a couple mourning doves. The chickadees harangued me something fierce about my oversight. I love those little birds. They are so cocky and brave.

So, today I need to dedicate to writing. I also got my second round of edits for "Magic" (a story to be published by the Sweetheart Rose line at TWRP) and the editor is asking for a major change. I don't disagree with her at all... I'm just not entirely certain how to fix it. So I have some hard work up ahead.

And... It just occurred to me that it's Thursday, so I'm going to finish this up and get a blog done for Booking It. I can't miss my weekly fix!

Have a great day!

4 comments:

Allie Boniface said...

WOW-WomenonWriting.com is featuring self-promotion as their theme in this month's e-zine. Some pretty good articles - you should check it out.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your latest story! I'm excited to read it although I may wait a day or two. My son has a "procedure" scheduled for Friday and my brain is fuzzy with worry. So fuzzy that I thought your quote this morning started, "Whatever your sex position ..." ;^)

-d

Alice said...

It's my pleasure, Marianne! Your stories are great so that's a good reason to be your fan. Hehe! Keep up the great work!

It's wonderful to hear that Miles From You is in the top ten overall sales. Congrats! :D

Ceri Hebert said...

I've been making some good progress on my writing even though I'm getting tied up on stupid things.... like who should be considered the goddess of flea markets and whats the name of the bridge between New Hampshire and Maine.

My DH doesn't ask about money. He wants to know why I don't go by my full name instead of the abbreviated version.

doiiaxb-debbie orders icky ian a xylophone bravely