Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Only the Crazy...

“What garlic is to food, insanity is to art.” - Augustus Saint-Gaudens

Today begins my latest challenge: MayNoWriMo -- 30,000 words in thirty days, with a group of great ladies from The Wild Rose Press. I'm going to be using my mystery - a novel I'd sidelined when I got derailed by all the DNA and CSI-type stuff. Yesterday, when I made the final decision to use this story (mostly because the only other novel length idea I have is in the incubation stage and will probably be my NaNoWriMo work this year), I worried that I wouldn't know where to go. I already have 24,000 words on it and hated not completing the thing. 30,000 new words will put me right on track.

I had decided to make the solution a little less dependent on DNA because DNA tests can take weeks, months and even years to be returned. I needed it done in about two weeks. I have to admit to being annoyed last night at NCIS when they got DNA on a body before the autopsy was even completed. Don't you hate when reality intrudes?

But... as I dozed off to sleep I had a great idea of how to solve the crime (partly) without DNA evidence! It requires a scene to be added near the beginning and a small change but it'll work. I started this thing about a year ago -- why couldn't I think of this then? At least I have something to work on today, and I'm excited about it to boot.

I figure once I finish this project (on June 2nd), then I'll work on revising my novella... after letting it simmer awhile. Then I'll finish editing the novel I've been working through already -- though I'm planning on continuing that editing while I work on my mystery this month.

Ah... craziness abounds.

Hey, so far Judy and Alice have volunteered to be Randomized. Anyone else?

Have you entered my contest to win a book? What's stopping you? The drawing is tomorrow -- so hurry!

Now, I need to get cracking. I'll track the progress on my sidebar if you're interested.

5 comments:

Melissa McClone said...

Good luck with your first day of Nano! You can do it!

As for the reality intruding, it just depends for me. Some things I can suspend disbelief totally and others i just end up rolling my eyes and shaking my head. But i know it really bugs some people. That's why research is so important! Those little nasty grams about getting something wrong in a book sting!

anno said...

Good luck with your May Nano -- I'm looking forward to watching your progress!

Details, schmetails... having a good story is what matters. Of course, what makes a good story might vary from person to person.

Ceri Hebert said...

A writing challenge for May? oof, I don't know if I'd have the strength. It would mean putting my novella aside. I don't think I could get another 30k from it otherwise I'd use it.

Hmmmm.... its a thought though.

ttmmrb-tom taylor married maeve rose browne.

Anonymous said...

I usually can overlook stuff like the superfast DNA results, or the nuclear disaster stuff on JERICHO. I don't watch those for accurate information. :) Inaccurate medical stuff solely for the storyline, however, bugs the crap out of me. I never said I was consistent. *g*

Shauna said...

Sounds like you have a busy month ahead. Best of luck to you!