Friday, May 04, 2007

Rules, Schmools

“Creativity is inventing, experimenting, growing, taking risks, breaking rules, making mistakes, and having fun.” - Mary Lou Cook

I had fun writing toward my goal yesterday. I'm working on my mystery and it's the first time I've tackled one. I'm probably doing everything wrong, breaking all of the unwritten "mystery" rules, but I'm actually enjoying it. Once I decided how my H/H can solve the crime without DNA evidence -- the problem that sidelined me before -- the story became fun to write again.

Yesterday, I got in 1368 words! My heroine located one of the murder weapons, although she doesn't recognize it as such and she and my hero shared their first kiss -- yes, I'm 25,000 words into the book (almost halfway) and they hadn't kissed yet. So, not only am I breaking mystery rules, I'm clearly breaking romance ones as well.

Here's to breaking the rules!

I posted a blurb for my latest contracted story on my website yesterday. I really enjoyed writing this, and hope that folks will like reading it as much. Here's the blurb (and... as an aside -- does everyone hate writing these things as much as I do?):

"Pregnancy Cravings": Patrice would do anything for her pregnant friend, Cathy, even if "anything" includes running to the convenience store on a daily basis to indulge her cravings. On one of her excursions, Patrice meets Joey Sousa, the cashier at the store. Their attraction is undeniable, but awkward: he thinks she's pregnant, she thinks he's dating someone else. Will the misunderstandings keep them apart, or will their chance meeting give birth to happy ever after?
What do you think? Sound interesting? ... Man, I hope so.

Today, DH is working from home, so I need to get my writing done this morning. It's only 4:20 a.m. right now, so provided neither he nor the DD get up early, I should be golden.

Today, my heroine will find a dead body. That's always fun.

I've started a new book giveaway contest for the week - don't forget to toss your name into the hat!

Have a great weekend.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear that you enjoyed writing yesterday on your mystery. I went and got my daughter from college yesterday so didn't get to write very much. But what I did manage to write was fun.

Have a great weekend!

Melissa McClone said...

Your story has a very cute premise. Good luck with it.

Hope you get as much writing done on the Nano project as today!

And as for rules, I think the longer you can hold off on a kiss the better. Especially if you are writing a traditional romance like I write. I like to wait until halfway through the story if possible before unless the kiss sets up some sort of tension/used as a plot device such as a forced kiss to not be recognized or something like that which I did do in one of mine. In my current wip, as of now, the first kiss is in chapter 6 of an 11 chapter book.

Anonymous said...

Way to go on the writing!!!

Rules are made to be broken! Be a rebel! *g*

anno said...

Promising premise -- I'll be interested to see what you do with it.

groovyoldlady said...

Dead bodies...Oooooo!

The book DOES sound interesting. I picture Tom Hanks and Whatsherface doing a romantic comedy based on the book.