Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Random Groovy-ness

"Men may change their climate, but they cannot change their nature. A man that goes out a fool cannot ride or sail himself into common sense."- Joseph Addison

Groovy tagged and randomized me on her blog yesterday. Here are her "random" questions and my ever so random answers:

1. If you could have Mavis the Maid (She comes very highly recommended) on a consistent basis, which one household/cleaning chore would you be thrilled to get out of doing?

It was a tough choice between laundry and cooking dinner -- but cooking dinner won. Can Mavis the Maid cook?

See, here's the problem: My DH and I eat completely different things.

I never eat beef or pork, seldom eat chicken or fish. I'm mostly meat free and love just about every veggie there is. My idea of a great dinner? Veggie burger with soy cheese on a whole wheat bun, piled with tomatoes, onions, pickles and romaine or broccoli sprouts. DD mostly eats what I eat, with a few exceptions. We're easy.

DH is pretty much all about meat. He doesn't like soup or casseroles much and also doesn't like repeating the same meals very often. But he's also very picky about what he eats (he likes very few veggies - and don't cook his carrots, they must be eaten raw) and how it's cooked. After I finish making beef stew, tacos, lasagna, spaghetti, steak/potatoes and baked chicken, I'm out of ideas.

Cooking dinner is the most stressful part of my day.

2. Tell us the truth: Have you ever broken the law? What did you do?

Oh my... so many crimes to choose from... Okay, got one:

When I was about five years-old, I swiped a piece of caramel from those "Brachs pick-a-mix" bulk things and put it in my pocket. I would have gotten away with it, but I was anxious to eat it and so tried to unwrap it in my pants pocket. Mom heard the crinkle and I was totally busted.

How humiliating.

3. Have you ever embarrassed yourself in front of a crowd? What happened?

Oh yeah. I was in drama since I was born, so how could I not? Once, during dress rehearsal of a play in which I played a drama teacher and was consoling a student about her boyfriend (named Ray) troubles, I was supposed to say: "I understand. I had a Ray once myself." Only that's not what came out of my mouth. Instead, I uttered: "I understand. I had Ray once myself."

We laughed for the next hour and I couldn't keep a straight face during that line, even in our regular performances.

4. You've selected a stunning new outfit to wear to an important event. Time is running short. You are rushing to get dressed and suddenly realize that said outfit absolutely DOES NOT fit. What do you do?

See... this wouldn't happen to me. I'm anal about trying things on well in advance. But, under the assumption that I was possessed by totally unprepared aliens, then I would find something else to wear. Boring, I know... but what else would I do? Go naked? That would make them run screaming...

5. Hey...Lucky You! You get to be the President of the United States for one entire week. Any changes you make will become a permanent part of American history. What are the top-three items on your to-do list?

So, here's the deal. I swore when I started this blog to never discuss politics (or religion -- I'm just not up to flame wars), so this is hard to answer without making somebody mad.

How about this:

1. Completely abolish the IRS, institute a flat tax based on income for each year and end the headache. If we stopped paying the gazillion IRS employees, the savings in salary alone would reduce the deficit immensely. I Hate Doing Taxes.

2. Term limits for EVERYONE. Why, why, why do people keep voting in the same complete imbeciles until they die?? Why? bangs head on desk

3. Completely overhaul the welfare system, limit the length of time anyone can be on it and make them WORK for the money they receive... there's plenty anyone of work for anyone regardless of their skill set. Welfare should be to help families to get back on their feet NOT a way to have income for the rest of your life.

Uh oh... I think I just got into politics a little... oops.


Anyone want to be randomized by me? No... you don't get the questions ahead of time, you just have to be brave, stick up your hand and hope for the best. If you are really that crazy, leave me a comment and say "Randomize Me". If I get any takers, I'll post questions on Friday.

Muh-ha-ha...

==================================

I finished the first draft of the novella I've been working on. The draft needs A LOT of work, and the ending feels a bit rushed. I need to go back and add the polish -- right now it's pretty much just getting what happened down on the page, with no pretty flowers or spices. It ended a little short of where I wanted it, but that's okay. I think it'll grow as I edit (which is odd, since it's usually the other way around -- but as I wrote on this one, I remember thinking things like, "They aren't going to be able to really see the barn, or the horse, or the hero or whatever. I need to work on that.") so, I'll make up the word count. Too bad it couldn't grow another 30,000 words and drop the "la" from its name.

Today the weather is supposed to be gorgeous. Finally. It's been raining for months... or maybe it just feels that way.

Have a good one!

7 comments:

groovyoldlady said...

Oooooo. There's still time for you to get into the Primary race as an independant.

VOTE FOR MARIANNE!!!!!!

Judy said...

I know what you mean about politics and religion. That's one thing we don't even get into in our family! Makes for easier family get-togethers.

Go ahead and randomize me. It should be fun.

Melissa McClone said...

Congrats on finishing the novella draft! Have fun revising and polishing. That's the best part.

Anonymous said...

I wouldn't mind letting Mavis do my dusting. I hate dusting!

Alice said...

Randomize me, Marianne! :)

Shauna said...

Okay, I've never done anything like this before, but I'm willing to give it a good try. Randomize me! I'll try to figure it out. LOL!

Barrie said...

Congratulations on finishing the draft. That's what I'm working on right now.