Thursday, May 17, 2007

Booking it Bookless

“A truly great book should be read in youth, again in maturity and once more in old age, as a fine building should be seen by morning light, at noon and by moonlight.” - Robertson Davies

It's time once again folks...



Booking Through Thursday

It happens even to the best readers from time to time… you close the cover on the book you’re reading and discover, to your horror, that there’s nothing else to read. Either there’s nothing in the house, or nothing you’re in the mood for. Just, nothing that “clicks.” What do you do?? How do you get the reading wheels turning again?


Once, I drove to a library about 45 minutes from here because they have the absolute best selection of paperbacks. I must have checked out fifty books and brought them home. And yet, when I dumped them out, there wasn't one I wanted to read.

The thing is, I don't own a ton of books. There aren't THAT many I love to read over and over, and the only reason I'll purchase a book is if it's a keeper. I usually read from the library first and then go buy. I did this recently with "Enchanted, Inc." and the series. I read the book and loved it -- so promptly jumped on my computer, headed to Amazon and bought all the books in the series.

So, when I put down the book I'm reading and find that nothing in my TBR pile interests me, what do I do? I head for my old favorites. If a book is really good, then reading it hundreds of times doesn't make it any less so.

I am never without something to read, even if it's "just" an old friend.
====================

Yesterday I was contemplating dinner. We'd had thunderboomers off and on all day long complete with tornado warnings. Um, I'm not in Oklahoma or Kansas, folks. I'm in NEW HAMPSHIRE. This is not the home of tornadoes.

Anyway, I hadn't really given much thought to dinner, so considered making a pizza. This can be a challenge in my house (like all meals, really). My husband prefers a thick crust pizza topped with every meat known to man. God Bless DiGiorno for coming out with their "ultimate" pizza -- four different kinds of meat.

I, OTOH, prefer thin crust veggie. Bell peppers, olives, onions, tomatoes, mushrooms... mmmm... my mouth is watering just thinking about it.

DD, OTOH, prefers a pizza made with pesto sauce and just cheese.

I wasn't up to making three pizzas last night, so we had something else. But this leads me to my QUESTION OF THE DAY:

What's your favorite kind of pizza (including crust and sauce)? Are there some ingredients you can't do without? Are there any that would make you throw an otherwise perfectly good pizza away?

Let me know in the comments and have a wonderful day!

9 comments:

Ceri Hebert said...

I love Pizza Hut Pan Pizza with just cheese and pepperoni. Simple yet so delicious. I can deal with nearly every other topping except black olives and anchovies. But I'll choose plain pepperoni everytime.

DiGiorno is a really good brand.

Thanks.... now I'm hungry.

hyqaael-hyper yaks quell agitated antelopes executing leaps

Alice said...

Hi Marianne, I used to have that thought too - buy only books worth keeping. But now I have this habit of just buying them. The sheer satisfaction of opening my wallet and buy, buy, buy. Haha. Books are probably the only thing splurge on... Happy BTT!

I love thin crust, sausage and cheese pizza. :D

Anonymous said...

I'm a strict thin crust, extra cheese and pepperoni girl, myself. :)

anno said...

Thick crust, pepperoni, onions, mushrooms, banana peppers is a favorite around here. If I'm on my own, a pesto and tomato pizza sounds fabulous, or maybe a spinach, red pepper, and artichoke pizza on a thin crust with asiago cheese.

I love pizza, and all its endless variations. The only thing I don't like is Italian sausage. Or too many anchovies, or canned black olives.

Shauna said...

I love Pizza Hut ham and pineapple. They have the best crusts! I also love Greek/Mediteranean pizza. The only topping that would make me toss an otherwise perfect pizza is hot peppers. Ick. Can't stand them. Well, and anchovies.

Melissa McClone said...

Oh, a good question even though I can't have pizza right now on my diet. I absolutely, positively love the following:

Thin crust, pesto sauce, mozarella cheese, artichoke hearts, sundried tomatoes and pine nuts.

Of course, I pretty much will eat any pizza. Love it!

Melody said...

Hi Marianne, I'm awed with your library! You mean they really allow you to borrow 50 books? Oh wow!!! LOL.

Mentioning of pizzas...hmm...I love hawaiian! But I don't like green peppers and olives as toppings though. And yeah, love the crust!

Literary Feline said...

I need to be more like you and not buy all my books, but it's become such a habit for me. :-S Someday I plan to clean out my books, give away those I do not plan to read again, but I haven't the heart just yet.

As for pizza - I'm a traditionalist. Pepperoni with extra cheese is perfectly fine for me. I love a thick end crust, but thinner towards the inside. Sourdough is best. I couldn't tell you what sauce since I'm not familiar with different sauces by name. Whatever the regular pizza kind is is fine with me.

groovyoldlady said...

Homemade, whole wheat crust. my simple homemade sauce, tons of veggies, moderate amounts of cheese.

Thanks...guess what I'm making for supper tonight!?

**********
OK. My security word is "fakepp". Isn't that what people do in the workplace when a co-worker is driving them crazy? It's also what this Mom does when she wants time alone to read!