Sunday, March 26, 2006

Writing Garbage

"It is perfectly okay to write garbage--as long as you edit brilliantly." - C.J. Cherryh

I feel so much better now that I'm writing again, and not just editing. I'm allowing myself to think of the things that need to be changed, and I'm jotting them down on the back of my timeline (everything in Camilla takes place in a short period of time, and I keep forgetting what day I'm on!) and then I move forward. I am writing down every change, minor or major, that I think of because I can't remember what I ate for breakfast these days.

It's working. I'm writing.

One thing I did learn from NaNo (aside from doing character profiles in more depth prior to beginning to write in order to make your character more consistent and believable) is allowing myself to write garbage. Turn off the inner editor. I know they (whoever they are) say you should always do that for your first draft, but it's hard -- nearly impossible.

I'm setting myself a NaNo-like goal in order to get Camilla's first draft completed, and it's helping (though it may end up being garbage). I have this ambiguous idea of how I want it to end, but I really need to get it down on paper and see if it works.

Oh, and I did figure out how to work the BIG MISUNDERSTANDING scene without using Maynard's POV. Though I still think that could have been fun. Maybe next book...

No comments: