Monday, March 06, 2006

We Interrupt Our Regularly Scheduled Program...

And I'll add a quick warning that I'm going to talk about something that may disturb you, so stop now if you're worried...

Normally, I try to stay away from controversial issues on this blog because that's not what it's for, but this is something that weighs heavily on my heart.

The Canadian Seal Hunt starts this month. When I was young, I can remember hearing about Greenpeace reps spraypainting the baby seals to make their fur useless to the hunters. Apparently, they don't do that anymore. In fact, the Canadian government has made any effort to interfere with the hunters a crime.

From the Humane Society of the United States webpage:

Canada’s annual seal hunt is the largest commercial slaughter of marine mammals on the planet. It’s also the cruelest. In late March, fishermen in the North Atlantic will invade the ice floes to club and shoot baby seals, just to earn a few extra bucks by selling seal skins. Many of these seals are utterly defenseless. Last year, 98.5% of the seals killed were two months of age or younger. Veterinary reports indicate that many seals have been skinned while still conscious and able to feel pain. This year, the ProtectSeals team will expose the world of cruelty that takes place on the ice floes.

Now, I object to killing something just for its fur at any time. If you kill it, you eat it. Period.

I also object to inhumane treatment of animals. I can't help but think there's something wrong inside the head and heart of a man who can take a club and beat a fluffy white baby seal until it's senseless and then skin it alive.

If the Canadian's think that they must kill these babies, then do it humanely (though I still have a problem killing something for its fur, at least keep the babies from suffering).

And now, I'll step down from my soapbox. But my heart breaks for these seals - babies and mommas.

Only 23 days left in their lives. They have no idea what's coming...

No comments: