Sunday, March 05, 2006

Please Make the Voices Stop...

My niece left this morning at 3 a.m. to head back to college, so things may get back to normal (I hope, but have no guarantee!). And, finally, I can start writing again.

My plan is to finish Camilla, but I have all these other characters in my head, demanding to earn their place on the page. Three other novel ideas are running a marathon in there and don't want to let me be. Two of them I've already jotted down the basic idea, the main characters and written a first chapter, just so I don't forget (as if they'd let me), and the third will join them shortly.

Then what?

The problem isn't "getting" ideas, the problem is what to do with all the ideas I have. How do you make them leave you alone and stand quietly in line until it's their turn?

What about you? How do you turn off the voices in your head?

No comments: