Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Welcome Guest Blogger: Pamela Thibodeaux

Power in Gratitude
by Pamela Thibodeaux


When I checked my calendar and found that I was scheduled to guest blog here today I immediately emailed Marianne to find out what I should blog about. I wondered if she had a certain theme I should consider, or should I just write about myself and my books, or what.

She said I could write about anything as long as the post was not blatant promotion of only my work and then sent me a list of previous blog posts to check out. One that really caught my attention was the one by Renee Knowles about gratitude journaling.

Gratitude journaling has gotten a lot of attention over the years, especially since the release of The Secret. Although I’ve always expressed thanks to God for the blessings in my life, I never realized the universal importance of gratitude until I read The Secret. Posts like Renee’s and the comments she received confirmed that there is indeed, power in gratitude.

Yet, how many times do we fall into the habit of complaining about what we have that may not be exactly what we expected, or whining about what we don’t have?

I’m not sure if there is an old adage which says, “Be grateful for what you have because God won’t give you something else to complain about” or if I simply heard that in a message, but how true this statement is!

According to The Secret (which is the Law of Attraction), one of the benefits of a gratitude journal is that recognizing what you are grateful for shifts your innermost feelings to attract more things to be grateful for. I’ve also heard that it’s a good thing to be thankful (grateful) for something before it even shows up in your life!

Now if you know anything at all about me, you’ll know that I am a deeply committed Christian and that I have no qualms about sharing my faith. This shows in every aspect of my writing from blog posts, to articles and essays, and especially my novels and short stories. You’ll also know that I don’t write conservative Christian, but “Inspirational with an Edge!” ™ What does this has to do with power in gratitude? Just this….

God gives us all different gifts and talents and various views on life and faith. I had to be grateful for the stories He put in my heart and the way He ordained for me to write those stories. I also had to learn to not go off on a tangent and whine because I don’t write like everyone else, or that what I wrote wasn’t good enough to be published “like everyone else.”

Once I realized this and accepted that I am doing what He wants me to do the way He wants me to do it, then and only then did I appreciate the talent He gave and opened myself to search out and receive publishing contracts with small press publishers like The Wild Rose Press and ComStar Media. Between these two companies, I have five full-length novels and three short stories published and more contracted! All because I opened myself up to the power of gratitude.

So be grateful for who you are and what you write!


Pamela S Thibodeaux

“Inspirational with an Edge!” ™


You can find out more about me and my work at my website or blog. You can read some of my non-fiction articles at Associated Content and rate articles at Helium.

==============================

4 comments:

Keri Mikulski said...

Read and loved THE SECRET and completely believe in gratitude. Great post.

Melissa McClone said...

Thanks for the post!

Brandy said...

I admit to never reading The Secret. However, I believe in Gratitude.
Thanks for the lovely post.

Pamela S Thibodeaux said...

Thanks ladies for commenting.
PamT