Saturday, October 04, 2008

The Ants Go Marching...

“Turn on the prudent ant thy heedful eyes. Observe her labors, sluggard, and be wise.” - Samuel Johnson

I wish I'd had my camera with me yesterday, but I wasn't outside to take pictures, I was outside to work like a dog (not MY dog, but...) -- DH and I worked on cleaning up two oaks he'd taken down two weeks ago, prior to the non-stop rains.

He'd chopped them into 12" chunks (we have a small stove, but it's POWERFUL) and then decided to use the maul and chop them in half. Lo and behold: the bottom, oh five feet, of the tree was full of carpenter ants.

I was alternately grossed out and fascinated. And I have to admit to feeling a little bad as I watched the adults rush around grabbing eggs and larvae. What good parents they are!

And the pathways were amazing and intricate. They really are interesting little critters. Unfortunately, they are also firmly on the "bad bug" list (and yes, we do allow the tiny black ants to live -- as long as they stay outside -- because they don't eat our house), so it was left to me to spray the logs and kill them (sadly... I don't kill bugs well). I still feel rotten about it.

DH said, "I knew that tree had ants. That's why I took it down."

Yep... uh huh...

Today? More of the same. And, he may be taking down the ginormous oak that grew next to the ant infested one. Dear heavens. Almost makes me wish for rain.

Almost.

==========================

I sent off my Womans World story yesterday... now I want to vomit. I keep thinking that, eventually, I will get over the extreme nausea that follows every submission. I hope so. It's just not pleasant.

==========================

Did you guys see the contest I posted about two days ago from Patti Ann Colt? It's fun and it's got a great prize!! Go look!

==========================




What Your Burger Says About You



You are very gluttonous. Even if you're full, you'll still clear your plate.

You are a compassionate and caring. You know how to enjoy life while still looking out for others.

You are a very open eater. You like many types of tastes, and you'll eat just about anything.

You tend to gravitate toward strong, pungent foods. Even if it means having bad breath!

You consider yourself a healthy eater. But you're not about to sacrifice taste or quantity!

You are social, outgoing, and a risk taker. Among your friends, you are the first to try a new food.



Um... maybe 50% on that one. Oh well... You?

=========================

4 comments:

Jen said...

Carpenter ants are THE WORST (after termites, of course). My critter problem these days is we have someone living in our attic/crawl space. Whoever it is scampers, and doesn't sound too big, but I really should try to figure out what's up this weekend.

groovyoldlady said...

My burger:

You are very gluttonous. Even if you're full, you'll still clear your plate.

You tend to gravitate toward strong, pungent foods. Even if it means having bad breath!

You consider yourself a healthy eater. But you're not about to sacrifice taste or quantity!

You are straightforward, honest, and ambitious. You tend to be direct about what you want when it comes to food.

You are emotional. You have a big heart, and you tend to go for comfort foods.

You are social, outgoing, and a risk taker. Among your friends, you are the first to try a new food.

***********

Oh my word...It's like they KNOW me!

Tori Lennox said...

What Your Burger Says About You

You are bold and resolute in your choices. You don't back down, and you aren't afraid to go at something full force.

You are a very open eater. You like many types of tastes, and you'll eat just about anything.

You are emotional. You have a big heart, and you tend to go for comfort foods.


Hmph. They don't know me very well.

Brandy said...

The quiz and I disagree. *G*
Carpenter ants are not on my aproved bug list either. Ugh. And we're not fond of the little black ones either considering the kids and I have a reaction to the bites.

Hugs on still getting nauseas!

I hope you have a good day!