Sunday, October 26, 2008

Miss Seafood...

"All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes to make it possible." — T.E. Lawrence, Seven Pillars of Wisdom

Okay, I need your help. Judy and I were gabbing yesterday, and she mentioned she was going to attend a seafood festival, and sent me this link.

My comments to her after clicking?

Wait... wait... There's a MISS FLORIDA SEAFOOD??? I feel a story in there...

And I immediately decided that my NaNoWriMo heroine has to have been MISS SOMETHING STRANGE AND FUNNY when she was younger. That's where YOU come in.

Send me your ideas. The story is set in Northern California, in a little podunk town. I know beauty queen type folks have been known to travel in order to compete so she could be just about anything. MISS GILROY GARLIC. MISS SLOUGHOUSE CORN. Be creative, be off the wall... but help! Kay? I know you're up to the task.

Speaking of NaNo, Groovy asked how much prewriting I do. Not much, really. I should do more. I do my character sketches, and I'll write out misc. scenes that aren't used in the novel, just to get a feel for them. I do some pre-plotting work with a worksheet I've created using various different "HOW-TO" books, and I brainstorm scenes. I also line up a boat load of strange "dares" to use when the story grinds to a halt. The sheer ludicrousness (is that a word?) of the dares tends to get my creative juices flowing again. I wish I was a plotter, because I'd love to have a real outline. But I'm not. I keep trying, because I really, really want to be a plotter... it appeals to the organized control-freak that I am. Maybe someday.

============================

DH did NOT do flooring yesterday. That's the good news. He's taking of Monday to do it instead. That's the bad news. The worse news is that DD seems to have caught whatever DH had, and is NOT feeling well.

**sigh**

=============================




Your Bumper Sticker Should Be



Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things



Works for me! LOL...

========================

10 comments:

MomJane said...

I think Miss Watsonville Artichoke would be nice, but I like the one about Giilroy garlic so far.

My bumber sticker was really, "getting humped at the pump" but That was yukky, so I put in the car I used to drive, and it was: "Give me ambiguity - or give me something else" which I really liked. Obviously I am driving the wrong type car now.

Dru said...

Miss Gold Rush
Miss Mountain Aire
Miss Redwood
Miss High-Tech Valley
Miss Overalls
Miss Cow Pasture
Miss One Road Buggy

Since I don't drive a car, I put in "none" and got this -
Buckle up - it makes it harder for aliens to suck you out of your car

Sarita Leone said...

Miss Napa Nut?

Happy Sunday!

Ceri Hebert said...

Hmmm... I don't know California very well so I can't help ya out there, but its a good idea, I like it. Glad your planning is going well. I'm still pondering what direction I'll be going. I'm thinking possible paranormal, but I have other thoughts and it may be too much.

Now if I could only be happy with my other project.

Anonymous said...

Hugs to DD! Being sick is no fun.

Tori Lennox said...

Some funny pageant titles I found googling:

Miss Drumsticks
Miss Klingon Empire
Ms. Mosquito Legs
The Armpit Queen (eew!)


My bumper sticker:

If you can read this, I can stop suddenly and sue you

I like it. *g*

Judy said...

for one of the cars my bumper sticker is: What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?

for the truck: I do whatever my Rice Krispies tell me to!

Brandy said...

Miss Miners 49rs. *G*

My bumper sticker should say: " Anything worth taking seriously-is worth making fun of."

I'll take it. *G*

I hope you're having a nice Sunday!

Allie Boniface said...

There's a local Maple Leaf Festival near my hometown every spring, and they have a Sap Queen. Seriously.

groovyoldlady said...

Ah, you have forgotten "Miss Adorable Aborgine" (aka "Miss Eggplant")