Sunday, October 19, 2008

Brrr....

Winter is the season in which people try to keep the house as warm as it was in the summer, when they complained about the heat. ~Author Unknown

We've had a hard, killing frost the past two nights. I'm trying not to complain, but DANG I'm going to miss my flowers.

Yesterday, once it warmed up to... yanno... FIFTY, I went outside and pulled up all the corpses of my annuals. I lost my impatiens and petunias, and the flowers on my ageratum (though not the leaves, oddly). The cosmos made it, but it's dark yet so they may not have made it through TWO nights of frost. I'll see soon enough.

The chim-chimney sweep doesn't come for another week, though, so no heat for us. Brrr.... I drank tea all day yesterday, just so I could hug the mug and keep my hands warms.

Is it June yet?

==============================

Though I'm still reeling at how many of you don't re-read books, the results yesterday were interesting: most people won't buy a new-to-them author without some major incentive. Some want to read the first chapter to get a flavor of the story and the author's voice, many (like me) will read a book from the library first, to see if they like the author -- and will then go on to purchase more if they do.

As a reader, I totally understand, because I do the same thing (mostly... as noted yesterday, I do tend to buy my friends/crit partners books regardless), but as an author, it makes me wonder how to get folks to buy my work the first time. Because, yanno, once you've read my stories... you'll want to grab them all! *VBG*

For the authors out there: what do YOU think you can do to incent folks to buy your work if you're a new-to-them author? I know many of the ePubs now offer free reads (TWRP has theirs here) in order to help potential readers/buyers to get a taste of an author first.

Readers: Do you think getting a free read first helps you decide whether to buy a new author? If you read a short 2500 word story and love the author's voice, would you then go and purchase their full length novel?

Inquiring minds want to know!

==============================

Dd has sprouted an ugly lump on one of her nipples (can I say nipples on a rated PG blog?). DD found it on Friday afternoon, and we're worried because it's reminiscent of the lump Bailey had on HER nipple about four months before she died that was nasty-bad cancer.

DH says, "No one has to take their dog to the vet as often as we do." He's right -- I swear we've kept the vet in business since we got Dakota. So, Monday, if the lump hasn't changed or gone down, Dd gets to go in for a biopsy. I hope it's just fatty tissue or an infected bite or something. Please, please don't let it be cancer. I've made a point of laughing it off, and being calm for DD, but I have to admit, I'm very worried.

=============================




You Are a Pumpkin Latte



You are always up for a celebration. You are a very festive person.

You look forward to every holiday, and you are nostalgic for good times after they're over.

You appreciate the small things that make life special. You love little treats.

You often look at the world with childlike wonder. There's so much to enjoy!



Okay... for the first time in a long time, this quiz is TOTALLY WRONG. Just saying...

==============================

11 comments:

MomJane said...

This was a little difficult for me to do, since I don't like any kind of latte. I pretended they were talking about decaf coffee and went from there.

I don't think yours fits you at, and I don't know how it came up with those results.

You Are a Cinnamon Latte

Deep down, you are a sensitive soul. You just want to be loved and appreciated.
You may have a spicy attitude, but you're all sweetness on the inside.

You are dependable and loyal. You have you life together, and you're able to be there for other people.
You like nothing more than a warm, cozy house filled with friends and loved ones.

Allie Boniface said...

I've found that some kind of personal connection makes people want to buy my books: reaching them through my blog, or with a contest giveaway, or a book signing/reading. Of course that's tough to do on a wide-spread scale, but it's worked the best.

Fingers crossed for your Dd.

Sarita Leone said...

Sending big hugs to you all and thinking good thoughts for that darling dog of yours.

Hope your Sunday is warmer!

Dru said...

I've bought books where I read the first couple of chapters on a new-to-me author's website or in a newsletter that I get.

Sending you positive vibes and good thoughts for Dakota.

Didn't the cold come rather quickly. Just the other day it was 51 and yesterday it was 41.

Have a good Sunday.

MJFredrick said...

It's still in the 50s as lows here.

I don't have TIME to reread books! And I lately only buy first time authors if I know them, or if their blurbs really intrigue me.

Hope Dakota is okay!

Diane Craver said...

Sorry about losing you impatiens. Our temperature went down to 39 this morning so mine are okay.

I hope you get good news about Dakota.

I used to reread books but don't any longer - too many new books I want to read. I decide to buy new authors after reading their excerpts.

Brandy said...

It finally got chilly here, it was 57 today. As for a new author? I'll read an excerpt on a website, or the first few pages in the back of another authors book. But, I have to say, the library is the one way I'll read a new-to-me author and if I like the work I'll purchase a book by that author later on.

Fingers crossed, good thoughts sent and prayers for Dakota!

Anonymous said...

Ooh, poor Dd and POOR DD! Hope your doggie is okay. Hugs.

===========

DH says, "No one has to take their dog to the vet as often as we do."

Well, you could have INDY, who gets to see the vet all the freakin' time.

===========

You Are a Hazelnut Latte

You often having the craving for something exotic. You get bored easily. You are a true adventurer. Nothing makes you happier than traveling.

You're a very cosmopolitan and worldly person. You have sophisticated tastes. You have a keen attention to detail. Little things matter to you - you are a bit of a perfectionist.


About half right.

Anonymous said...

You Are a Caramel Latte

You often are feeling indulgent - and you go ahead and indulge yourself.
You are very creative. And you know you need to stimulate your senses to get your creative juices flowing.

You are a truly optimistic person. You see the best in yourself and in everyone else.
Your life can be a bit messy at times, but the most beautiful things come out of your chaos.

============

I re-read books all the time! I also buy new-to-me authors and randomly books that aren't my usual type. My mother-in-law is an author in her own right (retired now) and my favorite author happens to be one of her childhood friends. (Said author was my favorite before I met or married the hubby).

Keep us posted on your kitty's diagnosis.

groovyoldlady said...

Is "incent" really a word? Or were you just verbing "incentive"?

I couldn't take the quiz because:
A. I don't hang out in coffee chops.
B. I think EVERY day is a good day for a coffee.
C. I've only ever had a latte once.
D. I don't consider a latte to be coffee!

groovyoldlady said...

Oh...and keep us updated on the doggie. Once I thought out dear dog, Emily Sue, had a growth on her jar. I rushed her to the vet only to find out that it was a piece of Ole Roy dog food she was saving for later.

I was embarassed AND out $35! I hope your worrying is as needless as mine was...