Thursday, October 16, 2008

Dakota Duty

If you want children to keep their feet on the ground, put some responsibility on their shoulders. ~Abigail Van Buren

We've discovered recently that Dakota likes to play in piles of leaves -- just like a kid. Rake up a big pile, let her off leash, and she tears over and LEAPS(!!) into the pile. It's so cute! I've tried taking video, but haven't been able to time them just right... it's like she knows.

Speaking of Dakota... DD decided she doesn't want to sleep with her any more (truthfully, Dd is a bed hog) which leaves me in a quandary. The reason Dakota hogs the bed is because she's a snuggler. She MUST be right up against you when she sleeps. If you roll over or move, she stands up with a sigh comes close and flops down right against you.

And therein lies my problem. She is very needy, emotionally. She must, Must, MUST be with you, against you, at your feet. DH says he doesn't want her to sleep with us (for that reason), but it breaks my heart to think of making her sleep alone.

I know, I know... she's a dog, not a human, but still...

And, the kicker to all of this is that DD wanted "her own dog" (because Bailey was truly mine), so I've really been working toward that -- letting DD walk her, and be the one in obedience class who works with her, and sleep with her.

Now it's not fun anymore.

Part of me wants to say: too bad.

Maybe I will. ((mean old mom))

==========================

Still moving forward to NaNoWriMo ... trying to figure out how to write some blog post ahead of time and then add current events to them each day. I don't know if that is practical. Y'all won't mind if I do brief drive-bys all November, right? The neuroses that is NaNo may be sucking my brain cells dry.

===========================

Rain today, and then a cold front moves in. Indian Summer is over -- we'll be having highs in the 50s starting tomorrow. Darn it. I've been so spoiled!

As a reminder of summer, I posted a Thursday Thirteen with flower pictures on my Nature Blog. Take a look if you like pretty things!

============================



What Your Nose Says About You



You are straightforward and honest. You sometimes offend people without realizing it.

You are helpful and giving. You like cooperating, and you're always willing to lend a hand.
You are a realist. You aren't much of an optimist or a pessimist.



Yep, that's about right...

=============================

5 comments:

Keri Mikulski said...

I add you as a buddy on NaNoWriMo. :) Yes, I'm also thinking about how to juggle everything during November. Let me know what you come up with. :)

Dru said...

Would Dakota sleep on the floor near DD's bed?

You are detail oriented and attentive. You are a perfectionist.

You are reasonable and patient. You don't give into impulses.

You are objective and logical. You make a good businessperson.

You are optimistic and trusting. You expect the best from people.

Brandy said...

If your Daughter wanted the dog, doesn't she need to know that they depend on their "buddy" for everything? Whether it's convenient or not? Eh. Don't mind me.

As for the quiz: You are detail oriented and attentive. You are a perfectionist.
You are reasonable and patient. You don't give into impulses.
You are a nosey person and a bit of a snoop. You can't help but be curious!

Except for the last part, pretty accurate. However I have always been curious about almost everything but in no way do I snoop!


I hope you're having an enjoyable day!

TC said...

I think it's perfectly acceptable to say "too bad." I mean, yes, she's a dog and not a child, but it's like many things in life. You don't get to quit a job a few months in just because it's no longer exciting. Same with marriage. AND with children.

Besides, pets are good responsibility builders :)

Allie Boniface said...

I tend to agree re: the dog. If DD wanted the dog to be her own, a lot comes with that...including wanting to sleep super-close at night.