Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Ear Worms

I worry that the person who thought up Muzak may be thinking up something else. ~Lily Tomlin
Last night, DD was singing and humming to herself (she does this quite a lot -- in fact, when she was a baby, she'd wake up singing... and I'd lie in bed for a few minutes and just listen to it on the baby monitor. I can't think of a better way to start the day), and she suddenly burst out with: La de da de deeeee!

And you know what happened? I sang: La de da de daaaaa!

And promptly got THIS song stuck in my freaking head.



So... enjoy your ear worm. And that birth order quiz said I didn't like to share. Ha. Proved THEM wrong.

===============================

Got a great idea while I was lying in bed desperately trying to sleep last night... and knew I'd forget it if I wasn't careful. So, I repeated it over and over and over... I even know THE LAST FREAKING LINE! It's truly amazing (the line... though hopefully the story will be, too).

It's just a short one, maybe for WW. We'll see.

So, even though it's not writing day, I'm going to get that sucker down.

==================================

I meant to mention from the other day -- it was interesting to read that not many folks buy that many books, and one of the ways they get turned on to a new writer is from excerpts (that is, truthfully, a good way to get to know an author's voice). So, my next question for all you reader-type people:

Where do you find your excerpts? Do you belong to yahoo groups (like the LASR one? We have excerpt Monday, and I know lots of groups offer similar opportunities). Do you consciously go searching for them (on author's websites, etc.)?

Inquiring minds want to know *G*.

==================================

A gratuitous picture of Dakota, just because I can:



==================================

10 comments:

Dru said...

I belong to the Dear Reader newsletter where every day I get excerpts from the featured book.

AuthorBuzz, LASR, author's website and blogs.

Now that song is running through my head..it's a cool song though.

Ceri Hebert said...

Thanks, now that song is going to be stuck in my head all day. Ear worm indeed. But it's better than the one I had there previously.

Good luck on your new short story! I wish they came so easily to me (the short ones anyway)

Keri Mikulski said...

Yeah, that's a song that sticks.. :)

Judy said...

I get most of my "excerpts" from scanning books in the library or at the store. If I happen on one online, I'll read it, but I never go searching for one. But, then, we know I'm weird :-)

Melissa McClone said...

Good luck with the new story idea.

I read my excerpts online. Either at the author or publishers website. Sometimes Amazon has them, too.

Anonymous said...

I've had Istanbul (not Constantinople) stuck in my head for DAYS.

Brandy said...

No ear woems here. *G*
As for excerpts, I find them in the back of books, on authors websites and on many of the Yahoo groups I belong to. Then there are group blogs of authors. Hope that helps!

Good luck with your short story.

I hope you have a fabulous day!

Tori Lennox said...

Argh!!! Why was I fool enough to click on that video????? *g*

Jen said...

That's funny... I have an earworm post today too - Foux de Fa Fa by the Flight of the Conchords

Anonymous said...

Aww! Dakota is so cute!