Friday, October 03, 2008

Cuz I'm Brunette, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah....

Writing became such a process of discovery that I couldn't wait to get to work in the morning: I wanted to know what I was going to say. ~Sharon O'Brien

So, yesterday was a scheduled writing day and I'm really struggling with what to work on (when writers say they run out of ideas, I'm gobsmacked -- I have too many, and they never stop coming... just once, I'd like to only have one or two), so I wrote a very short story aimed at publication in Womans World. I know, I know, I've said in the past that I wasn't going to submit to them any more, but the author spotlight at LASR this week has a story coming up with them (in the 10/27 issue, if you're interested) and it got me all fired up again. They've lowered their word count (again), so now you have to have a "complete" story in only 900 words! YIKES!

Judy, very thoughtfully gave me a first line to use to get me going (I love writing prompts), and it only took me a couple of hours to get it done. It's off to Judy for a quick look-see, and then I'll pop it in the mail.

Actually, I had a lot of fun writing it -- and may start doing this once every few weeks like I used to. My writing goals two years ago included having at least two short pieces (stories, articles, whatever) in submission every month! I don't think that's a bad idea, and I may consider doing that again. We'll see.

==================================




Your Hair Should Be Brown



You are an intelligent, well respected person.

You are very confident. You take yourself seriously, and other people take you seriously too.

You are a good leader, and you can be trusted with someone's life.

You motivate people well, and you command respect easily.

You are competent, successful, and organized. You can't stand chaos.

Some people mistake you for being cold, calculating, or elitist.



===============================

Hey, anyone else remember Julie Brown's music? I have her album on vinyl and love each and every song (unfortunately, my record player has broken and I can't listen to my 300+ records right now ... wah...)

Anyway, one of my faves (this can get just a smidge crude):



Happy Friday!

========================

6 comments:

anno said...

Hey, something I know (and love)! I saw this video first in Earth Girls Are Easy.

Good luck with the short story!

Diane Craver said...

That's wonderful you submitted to Woman's World - I hope your story gets accepted. Wow - I didn't realize they cut it to 900 words.

I've given up submitting romantic stories to them. I did have a short anecdote published in WW though and that was exciting - they included a photo of me and the pay was nice. My one moment of fame. LOL

Melissa McClone said...

Congrats on getting a short story written!!! That's great. And good luck with submitting it!

Tori Lennox said...

Your Hair Should Be Red

You are a passionate person... both in love and in life. You have many causes that are important to you. You can be very intense.

You are very fiery. You speak up, and you don't mince words. You also have a very flamboyant personality. You love to show off.

You are both eccentric and expressive. You like to share your unique point of view.
You can become quite impassioned. So impassioned that you can seem a little overbearing.


I don't know how true any of that is, but I can live with it. *g*

Ceri Hebert said...

Good luck with WW! I haven't given them a try in years. Writing something under 1000 words is truly challenging!

Brandy said...

Best of luck with the WW submission!
I received Brown Hair on the quiz as well and while I am brown haired, the actual answer? Sooooo not me. *G*

I'm glad you were able to write! Have a glorious Friday!