Thursday, March 20, 2008

It's Raining, It's Pouring...And the First Sign Of Spring

The Act of God designation on all insurance policies... means roughly that you cannot be insured for the accidents that are most likely to happen to you. If your ox kicks a hole in your neighbor's Maserati, however, indemnity is instantaneous. ~Alan Coren, The Lady from Stalingrad Mansions, 1977

That quote has nothing to do with anything. I just thought it was funny. Ha.

Yesterday, I woke up to snow... lots of snow... then about mid-day it changed to rain and hasn't stopped. Dear heavens. The dog is bouncing off the walls, the DD is disappointed because I was going to take her to see "Horton Hears A Who", but it was blizzarding at showtime and I have no interest in risking life and limb for a movie.

Yesterday, none of us was in our happy place. Today, DH is working from home. Hmmm...

Two days ago, prior to the snow, I looked in the gardens in front of my house to see if anything was stirring. These tend to grow first because the front of our house bakes--it gets full sun pretty much all day, and it's light gray, so it reflects the heat. This is nice in the spring, not so nice in the summer when I struggle to keep anything alive in there.

Anyway...

I saw my first real sign of spring: about a half inch of one daffodil green. Yep, my daffodils are finally starting to sprout. And, no, I don't want to hear from ANY OF YOU IN WARMER CLIMES about your tomato plants or the fact that your daffodils bloomed last month. Let me enjoy myself for a minute or two.

====================

I worked on editing "Playing House" yesterday. Dear heavens. It needs a LOT of work. It's the first full length novel I wrote as an adult, and it shows. I think the story itself has potential, but OH MAMA the execution! The grammar! The "that" and "it" - itis! The adverbs! The stilted narrative.

I just want to apologize right now to everyone in that first romance class I took (and used this novel) for exposing them to this story in its present form: Charity, Darcy, Alison... will you forgive me? *G*

=====================

Hey, I know there are homeschoolers who read this blog--anyone know a good, fairly simple, elementary level Latin program that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? I'd like to keep all my limbs, if possible.

=====================

I got a release date for my next story! "A Change Of Heart" will be released by the Wild Rose Press on May 14th.



Returning to Wyoming after a six-year absence, Jake Langley finds more than just changes in the now run down family ranch. His warm feelings for a former girlfriend have cooled, and he finds himself drawn to her sister and his former best friend, Emily. His discovery of the sisters' well-kept secret, however, upsets his long-term plans and sets duty against his heart's desire. Now, four hearts and four lives will be changed, forever.

I'm working on a book trailer for it. It's nearly done, but I'm having a terrible time adding the transitions. I think I've learned something about Movie Maker: Do the photos, add the transitions, and THEN add the narrative. In fact, I may delete all my narrative and start over, cuz getting it timed right after you've messed with the slides is a bear.

==========================

Don't forget: a comment here = an entry into this contest. Good luck!

And, I posted a funny from "Perfect Strangers" here on my website.

===========================

What Book Character Are You?
Jo (from Little Women)
Jo (from Little Women)
You care deeply for your family, who are pretty much your best friends. You are a bit of wild child, who doesn't always play by the rules. You don't care an atom about what other people think. You have a brilliant imagination and your life never has a dull moment.
How do you compare?
Take this test! | Tests from Testriffic

16 comments:

Diane Craver said...

I took this test the other day and I got I was like Harry Potter which doesn't fit me. LOL I took it again and changed one answer which is what I should have put the first time and result was Jo.

I love your new book cover. Good luck with the trailer.

Allie Boniface said...

I just noticed my daffodils poking up last week...and yes, it's a nice feeling (finally!)

Judy said...

LOL... Here's who I am:

Lenny (from Of Mice and Men)
You're not the sharpest screwdriver in the toolbox, but your sweet and innocent personality is quite charming. You love animals. Sometimes you underestimate your own strength. Though you are a strong person, inside and out.

Dru said...

I'm Jo from Little Women.

I can't believe you're still getting snow up there. At least it turned to rain and I hope today is a bright and sunny day.

Good luke with your trailer for "A Change of Heart".

I hope your Thursday is a good one.

anno said...

Hey, I'm Jo, too, which suits me just fine. The book cover looks great, and I'm thrilled to hear that there are daffodils coming up anywhere.

About the Latin curriculum. I bought Henle when I thought we were going to do Latin this year, but it seemed kind of daunting to me. As we move in Roman Civs next week, I'm probably going to start my daughter on a book that was recommended by someone on amazon.com: Latin is Fun, Book I, by John C. Traupman. You can get used copies from amazon.com for just under $13, and the teacher's guide and answer key for another $20. It's probably geared more for middle school students, but your daughter sounds like a strong reader and it may be a good match. There was another pictorial introduction to Latin I saw last year that seemed interesting, but I can't seem to find it now. Good luck, and let me know what you end up using.... I may be joining you!

Unknown said...

I took the quiz I'm Harry Potter which I can see some similar traits
My crocus are blooming but only the purple and white ones?

Karen H said...

"And, no, I don't want to hear from ANY OF YOU IN WARMER CLIMES about your tomato plants or the fact that your daffodils bloomed last month. Let me enjoy myself for a minute or two." LOL you mean I can't gloat that some of the flowering trees are done and the trees are leafing out and it's suppose to be in the 70s today? Well, don't know where you are, but I left Michigan because of the late springs and short summers; where annual flowers and vegetable gardens aren't planted until end of May.

Anyway, I sympathize with you your changeable weather...it will get better...someday.

Rebekah E. said...

Congrats on your upcoming May 14 release. I also ended up being Jo form Little Women. I absolutely loved that book and loved Jo's character.

Melissa Blue said...

It's 72 degrees today. Ah, so wonderful... Lol.

Oh, and after I'd written my 3rd book I apologized to my critique partner for having to read my first book.

Anonymous said...

I first got Lenny from Mice & Men but then I went back and changed a couple of answers I waffled on and got:

What Book Character Are You?

Harry Potter (from the HP Series)
You're obviosly brave. You have a huge temper and hate getting a lot of attention. You have a small group of close friends that you can definitely rely on. You are smart in the subjects you like, and are somewhat athletic.


It's not very accurate but I like it. *g*

Anonymous said...

Yay on the Daffodils! A sure sign that the sun will show up soon.

I love when my bulbs start poking through the ground. It means the sun is almost here! I am tired of the rain. I miss our teaser weeks, when it was dry and sunny.

As far as Latin, try Latin For Children. Timberdoodle carries it. It's not terribly expensive and seems less terrifying that the Latin Primer Series (which is why Teenager is very good at Latin, but refused to do it thae last year he was home schooled full-time). When Younger starts Latin next year, that's where he'll begin.

Brandy said...

I got Lenny, too. Huh. Ooh, thanks for the reminder on the tomato plant thing, I need to buy one! And I'm guessing you don't want to know that it's 60 degrees here right now and my cherry tree is GREEN?
Good luck finding the Latin book!
Have a pleasant day.

Jen said...

If you want a simple program that really just introduces Latin, try Latin from the Roots Up. Also, maybe your library has some sort of usage agreement on Rosetta Stone? Many libraries do, these days.

groovyoldlady said...

I'd go look at my south facing front yard, but it's BURIED IN NEW SNOW right now.

Grrrrrrrrr.

This test cracked me up: Apparently I am "Lenny (from Of Mice and Men).

You're not the sharpest screwdriver in the toolbox, but your sweet and innocent personality is quite charming. You love animals. Sometimes you underestimate your own strength. Though you are a strong person, inside and out."

And here I must ask a question: Are screwdrivers SUPPOSED to be sharp?

Lianne Lopes said...

Oh you poor dear. I imagine you just want to strangle the snow clouds. Not that it would help. But still. I don't know what it's like at home. I don't care. I don't want to go back there anyway. lol. I hope your rain washes away all the snow and that soon you have warm weather so those flowers can finish coming out to play for Spring. :)

Caffey said...

I'm Lenny, it does fit :)

Lenny (from Of Mice and Men)
You're not the sharpest screwdriver in the toolbox, but your sweet and innocent personality is quite charming. You love animals (cats). Sometimes you underestimate your own strength. Though you are a strong person, inside and out.

Oh this would be a story of yours I'd love to start with. I like cowboy/ranch (western like) romances. This stand alone or you have other books se with this ranch or ?

It rained for the last two days. Very bleary here. Spring didn't arrive yet :(