Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Wednesday Already?

“Courage is the discovery that you may not win, and trying when you know you can lose.” - Tom Krause

That quote is what writing for publication is all about.

So...I got a flash (thumb) drive yesterday. It may have been a little too little too late, though, because my old desktop wouldn't boot up. It has my website on it. I don't have FrontPage on my laptop (yet), so have been doing updates to the website down in the mushroom pit. I don't know if DH looked at it last night... I hope all is well.

In any case, this *should* mean that I won't lose documents any more -- um, unless I lose the tiny little flash drive.

Where should I keep it? It needs to be convenient, but safe. And I need to remember where it is. How many times have you put something somewhere that made sense at the time, only to be utterly unable to locate the thing again? Oh well, I'm sure I'll figure out something. I'm just glad to have entered the current century.

=========================

The darling dog woke me at midnight, and again at 3:40 (the last time was done, not by whining, but by licking me in the face... a lovely way to wake). I stayed up the last time... worked on my reviews stuff first (mostly clearing out the inbox) for an hour! And I don't have it even half done. What do y'all think? We get quite a bit of traffic, but few comments, so I don't know if people love LASR, hate it, or are apathetic.

Keep in mind that we don't do negative reviews. This doesn't mean we're dishonest. What it means is -- if one reviewer reads a piece and doesn't like it, she passes it on. If the second reviewer doesn't like it, it goes to me (or to Judy). If we don't like it, it doesn't get reviewed.

As an author myself, I simply can't give snarky reviews to someone. They did what they thought was best, someone else (a publisher) thought it was good enough to print. Reviews are, by and large, a simple opinion. Opinions vary. I always point out that I didn't like "Outlander", when the rest of the world seems to think it's the best romance ever written.

See... opinions.

I think I'm rambling. Must need more coffee.

======================

Our latest caterpillars, now named "Eenie", "Meenie", and "Miney" (the pupa is "Moe"), are growing like crazy. If humans grew this fast, we'd double in size every two or three days. It's incredible. They are no longer little black worms, but are instead miniatures of what they'll look like as grown up 'pillars. Well, except for poor Eenie, who's a little behind the others.

I'm still trying to figure out how the fragile dill plant is going to hold these buggers when they're bigger.

I'd take pictures (would you really be interested?), but I haven't uploaded my cameras software onto my laptop yet. Considering the state of my desktop, I may want to consider doing so. Perhaps today.

===========================

I mentioned to Judy yesterday that my blog hits have gone down lately. Have I bored you all to tears? Do hits count when they're read through an RSS feed?

===========================

I got on the scale this morning. I lost four pounds, and have NO IDEA how that happened. Now, that's my kind of diet.

===========================

The Movie Of Your Life Is A Black Comedy

In your life, things are so twisted that you just have to laugh.
You may end up insane, but you'll have fun on the way to the asylum.

Your best movie matches: Being John Malkovich, The Royal Tenenbaums, American Psycho

11 comments:

Ceri Hebert said...

I love the diversity of you labels.

I have a flash drive (I call it my memory stick) and I've never lost it. I think I have a radar as far as its concerned. I do lose the cap, however. All the time. But I love that little stick. Its probably getting pretty full though.

I'll definitely leave a comment over at LASR because I'm over there every day.

Michele said...

LOL - my boss thinks Flashdrives are heavan sent. She carries her in her purse. *grin* As long as she has her wallet, she has flash.
*
Glad to hear your dog is continuing doing well!
*
ROTFL!! You don't like Outlander either?!!?
I've read it twice. Only because I didn't remember reading it the first time. My cousin raves and gushes over the series. Then laughed when I complained about a lot of things after I read it...again. Why did she laugh? Because she remembered me reading it the first time and the things I complained about? They were the SAME things that I snarked on the first time I read it.
At least I'm consistent!*grin*
*
Yes take pics of caterpillars..I post my flower and bugs mating pictures. I like variety. *gg*
*
4 pounds without trying? Pass ont he secret cuz I sure could use that too. *VBG*

As for more hits.. dunno. I did plaster my review on my LJ journal, my MySpace and my blog. I haven't done my Yahoo 360 yet. So, it's not for lack of exposure!

Have a good Monday!

Anonymous said...

I have 2 flash drives, one for the teaching gig and the other for the writing. I carry them with me in my purse, always in the same place. I freak out if I think I've lost them. Lots of people put them on their keychain or a lanyard around their neck. I back that info up in my Yahoo briefcase once a month. It hasn't yet paid to be paranoid, but one day...I hope it never does! Good luck reviving your desktop.

Melissa McClone said...

I've never read Outlander. I even have a first edition hardcover that I got at an RWA conference for free. They were handing them out.

I don't have a flash drive so not sure where I'd put it. Someplace fireproof I think though if I had one.

Heather said...

I don't know how to work flashdrives. I know you can use your iPod or Nano as a kind of flashdrive in a pinch, though. I wonder if you can do the same with an iPhone ... hmmm ...

Brandy said...

I have a flash drive and keep it in a make-up bag (a small one that Daughter gave me, why I don't know, I don't wear make-up) along with the cable for my camera to computer and my ipod shuffle connector/charger for the computer. I keep all those in the table next to my chair in the LR so I always know where they are.

I didn't like the Outlander books either. *sigh* I just don't get all the hype.

Good luck with the flash drive and the computer!

Anonymous said...

Oh, man, I'm always putting stuff in a "safe" place. And promptly forgetting where it is. Very annoying.

And we're apparently only twins every other day now. *g* I got:

The Movie Of Your Life Is A Cult Classic
Quirky, offbeat, and even a little campy - your life appeals to a select few.
But if someone's obsessed with you, look out! Your fans are downright freaky.

Your best movie matches: Office Space, Showgirls, The Big Lebowski

Gay said...

Even better, for me anyway, than a flash drive is .Mac

It automagically backs up all my important files twice a day and stores them on a virtual hard-drive in another state. And they are accessible to me online 24/7 from any computer in the world. I keep the websites I manage on it, all my writing files, my work files, and anything else I couldn't bear the thought of losing. And I can restore files that I screw up from it, too. I like the idea of how LARGE a natural disaster would have to be in order for me to lose my data from it AND from my computer. (I also do back-ups at home, usually to a separate hard-drive, but I only do them once a week).

The back-up software comes with the .Mac account, and I have 2 G of space, and all the other membership benefits for something reasonable like $70/year. And there are a lot of benefits (including anti-virus software).

Jen said...

I think I need one, too. But my hubby WEARS his. I'm not going to do that. No. Way.

Also, can I join your diet? Sounds like my kind of diet, too.

anno said...

Flash drives are practically a necessity for me, working between a desktop and a laptop, but it's also true that I've been known to send email to myself, with attachments, to avoid fiddling with another piece of hardware.

FWIW, my impression is that Reader views don't count unless someone touches your blog to comment, or something. But I'm not positive -- still don't have the technology.

Good luck with your desktop computer, your caterpillar project, and your sleepless dog!

Dru said...

I keep my flash drive in a basket on my computer desk next to my computer. If I don't see it there when I look, I freak out. If I have to bring work home, I put the files on my flash drive and work from that.

I have not heard of Outlander.

I enjoy reading the reviews on LASR, I sometimes have nothing to say.