Thursday, July 12, 2007

Booking It Through the Movies

If it's Thursday, it must be time to Book It!



Booking Through Thursday

1. In your opinion, what is the best translation of a book to a movie?

To Kill a Mockingbird, definitely. Though, the Lord of the Rings movies did a great job filtering through all the stuff in Tolkien that was confusing and pulling out the important things. And, with the exception of Liv Tyler, I think they did a bang up job of casting as well. They get to be a close second.

2. The worst?

Disney's version of The Black Cauldron was AWFUL. I'd have to say that Flicka comes in a close second. I know a bunch of people liked that movie, but ... Hello? Did you read the book? Aside from a horse named Flicka, there was nothing the same. Sheesh. And I loved that book.

I didn't like that they changed the end of The Firm in the movie. The book had an amazing ending. The Stand by Stephen King was pretty well adapted, but Molly Ringwald as the star? Please...

I also disliked nearly every adaptation Lifetime did of Nora Robert's books, with the exception of Carolina Moon which was not so bad.

I think the biggest movie betrayals for me have always been books from my childhood. The Black Stallion was not a good movie. Black Beauty, Ugh. I'm both excited and apprehensive about the upcoming movie, The Dark Is Rising, because this is one of my all time favorite children's books.

Honestly, the book is almost always better for the simple fact so much more can be included and no movie can rival imagination.

3. Had you read the book before seeing the movie, and did that make a difference?

With the exception of The Firm, I've read the books first. Well, except for the fact that I have never, in all my years of trying, managed to finish "Return of the King"...I always hated that I'd make it through all the rest of LOTR and then stop fifty pages from the end, but I just can't do it.
You Should Have Been Born Under:

You've got a ton of energy - and need plenty of room to roam.
You tend to follow your whims, and it's hard for you to stick to one thing.
Specific jobs, loves, and friends are always changing and never a part of your life for long.
Very intuitive, you tend to know what people are thinking before they say a word.

You are most compatible with a Dog or Tiger.


Okay... the funniest thing about this answer was a conversation I had just yesterday! You see, I skipped first grade, so everyone in my class was born the year before me. I was a horse freak as a girl and wanted desperately to have been born in the year of the horse, like EVERY OTHER PERSON I KNEW. But, NO, I was born in the year of the sheep. SHEEP. It took me years to recover.

And now... look... I was right in feeling that way. I have been redeemed.

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you about Liv Tyler being rubbish in LOTR and that books are generally better than film adaptations. Your imagination if often better than what they can put together in a film.

Melody said...

Well said, Marianne! I like books more than the movies anyway...but there are also times that watching a movie makes me want to read the book so I will be able to read more about it. :)

Dru said...

Doesn't it seem that the best part of the books that you like are never featured in the movie adaptation. I also dislike when they change the scenary and characters.

Gotta go...running late this morning.

Have a good Thursday.

Ceri Hebert said...

I've never read Flicka so I was totally alright with the movie (after all, it had Tim McGraw AND horses... how could it go wrong). Was the original movie, My Friend Flicka closer to the book?

I was born in the Year Of The Snake...in real life. I'll trade for your sheep.

MJFredrick said...

LOL - I was born the year of the horse. I was also a horse freak!

I hated The Horse Whisperer movie. Yeesh. I thought they've done fairly well with Harry Potter, though I haven't seen the latest one yet.

Chris said...

I must be the only person who hasn't seen TKAM. I just finished reading it, I must rent it sometime.

Alice said...

I have the same thoughts too. Seeing my very limited movie watching habit, I can only vouch for LOTR. *GRIN* My favourite female actress in LOTR is Cate Blanchett. I think she was great there.

--Deb said...

I actually liked the Black Stallion movie--relatively true to the book and oh, so beautiful to look at. I despised the Black Cauldron, though--what a travesty!

Stephanie said...

Oh yeah!! To Kill a Mockingbird was the first book I thought of too!! LOTR was excellent, and I think the Harry Potter's are really good too!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I forgot about Flicka! I agree -- I had loved that book, but the film didn't have much in common with it besides the horse's name. I've neither seen or read To Kill a Mockingbird and I need to rectify that!

Bridget said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one who wondered why the h Liv Tyler was chosen for that role! She seemed to cover the emotional range from A to B ...

howzerdo said...

I was mad about the changed ending in The Firm too!

Anonymous said...

I thought Disney did a pretty good job with The Lion, the Witch & the Wardrobe. So I'm hoping they do a decent job with The Dark is Rising, too. I saw an ad for it the other night, btw. What little they showed looked fun.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I've always been very annoyed that in the Wizard of Oz movie, they had Dorothy dreaming the whole thing. Hello? That's not how the BOOK ended!

Julia said...

I agree with you on Nora Roberts books. I like Caronlina Moon too. I did try to read Lord of the Rings, but didn't finish it. It was too much detailed. But the movie was great!

I like your answers - especially telling why you like or dislike it. I in another hand just couldn't word it LOL

Anonymous said...

I seem to be on a TKAM theme the last two weeks. Great book and movie. Happy BTT!

Kat said...

I haven't seen any of Nora Robert's movies. A bit curious, especially with Blue Smoke as I love that book.

Jen said...

TKAM was wonderful... absolutely. I also love Emma Thompson's adaptation of Sense and Sensibility! Hope you're having a happy Friday.