Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Edits and Too Many Pillars

It is perfectly okay to write garbage--as long as you edit brilliantly. - C.J. Cherryh

This post will be short today. Yesterday, I sliced the tip of my index finger with a box cutter and it hurts like crazy to type this morning. :-(

Didn't get much actual writing done yesterday. I did submit the two Manuscript Information Sheets for the new new contracts. I hate those things: cover ideas and blurbs and excerpts. Ugh. But, they're done. Mostly. I got edits on my excerpt back from the editor of "A Christmas Curse". First time that's happened! LOL... I worked on edits for "Don't Fence Me In" as well, but some of them are tough. I'm usually pretty good about not fighting over the little things while editing, but there are some not so little ones that come up now and then, and you have to decide how to handle them.

=======================

Pillar Place: Monarch has gotten very busy. Yesterday, ALL of the eggs hatched. Dear heavens. I have a bakers dozen little, nearly microscopic creatures to keep track of.

Many of the milkweed leaves are beginning to wither and die, so the babies need to be transferred onto new leaves. It's not as though I can lift them up, so I Googled my circumstances and found what I needed. Cut around the dead leaf until you have a little island with the baby on it, and place it carefully on the new leaf.

The only problem? Those kamikaze leaps I've spoken about previously. We did remarkably well with one exception -- a little butterbaby DD named Manuela. She decided to wander around her little container. When we checked her last night, she was no where on the leaf, top or bottom (the pillars like to hide under the leaves when they sleep -- I imagine it's safer for them). So, I look at the lid I'm waving around in my hand? Yup -- a tiny little speck with a black head is clinging to it. Brat.

I put the leaf next to her and tickled her little bum with the tip of my pinky. She freaked out, but at least she rolled the right direction and onto the leaf. Whether she stayed is something I'll discover once it's a little lighter out.

We need three more names. Thus far we have: Otto, Harry, Curly, Cutie, Betty, Manuela, Apollo and Athena (two eggs on the same leaf), Cathy, Bob, and Judy.

Note: I just checked on Manuela, and she's on her leaf and eating happily. Thank heavens. Another disaster diverted.

===========================

You Are a Light Pink Rose

You represent sweetness and grace.

Your vibe: Kind and gentle

Falling in love with you: is like falling in love with a best friend


Um... no. Not so much. You? Did they get it right with you?

10 comments:

Ceri Hebert said...

Wow, how do you keep track of all the little butterbabies and know who is who? Good luck with them all, I hope they all turn into beautiful butterflies!

Sounds like you had a productive day yesterday. Me, not so much. I've been having horrible head/neck aches and it really inhibits my creativity. I got a little written while running a report at work and I managed to transfer it over onto my computer, but not much else.

I hope today is a better day.

Charity Tahmaseb said...

Ouch on the finger. I did that back at Christmas with a knife and bagel (well, just the knife, actually, a bagel isn't sharp).

Take care of it! Hope you're back to typing soon.

anno said...

It sounds like you will soon have a garden filled with beautiful butterflies! Take care of that finger, though, and good luck with your writing projects.

Judy said...

so sorry to hear about your finger... and I got a light pink rose as well. I didn't get any kind of feedback from Bob about it though, so I don't know how accurate it is. :-)

Jen said...

I'm sorry about your finger, Marianne! Some neosporin and a very cushiony bandage over the cut can work wonders.

I love your pillar project with DD.

Melissa McClone said...

Hope your finger feels better, Marianne. That's gotta hurt! Take care.

Anonymous said...

I got:

You Are a White Rose
You represent youthfulness and purity.

Your vibe: Sweet and heavenly

Falling in love with you: is like falling in love for the first time


Oooo-kay. *g*

Hope your finger feels better soon!

Brandy said...

I also got light pink rose. *g*
I hope your finger feels better soon, that liquid bandage works great for cuts like that.

The soon-to-be-butterflies sound so cute. *g*

Hope you have a good day!

Dru said...

bummer about your finger. My family keeps all knives away from me.

I like the adventures of Pillar Monarch.

I'm a light pink rose.

Judy said...

You're tagged: http://jhthomas.blosgpot.com/2007/07/because-im-brain-dead.html

whenever you get time and your finger feels up to it.