Tuesday, July 10, 2007

Take Me Back Tuesday

Music was my refuge. I could crawl into the space between the notes and curl my back to loneliness. ~Maya Angelou, Gather Together in My Name

It's meme day because I have nothing much original to say... Brain. Is. Dead.

Take Me Back Tuesday

Guilty Pleasures of Our Youth

Did you have any bands that you were ashamed of liking in your younger days?

My mom raised me on a lot of the great seventies adult contemporary music: Jim Croce, Neil Diamond, Carole King, James Taylor. I really enjoyed that stuff. But when I got older, and realized most kids didn't, I would sandwich my purchases between other "cool" stuff I also liked. Want to buy Neil Diamond's latest LP? Great -- get Pat Benetar and Def Leppard, too!

Do you look back on some of the things you listened to and groan? If so, what were they?

Not too much. I actually find that I still really like much of what I liked then. The only one that makes me blush a little was my fascination with Wham!, not so much because of their bubblegum pop music (though, oddly, I preferred their first album that was released in the UK that had a harder edge), but because of my extreme crush on George Michael.

Up through the 80's there were a lot of music related TV shows did you watch any? (That weren't on Mtv or Vh-1)

Friday Night Videos. Anyone else remember this show? I'd stay up until ten (or was it eleven?) o'clock at night to watch this thing because we didn't get MTV (oh, the horror) and FNV was on one of the networks. I also, loved, Loved, LOVED "Solid Gold". Oh yeah. Did you know that one of the Solid Gold Dancers was in "Xanadu"? Ha. Bet you didn't.

A good many singers/musicians made films that were pretty awful, but have a cult following, which ones do you like?

Rick Springfield. Oh man, I was SO excited when his movie "Hard To Hold" came out. my heart went pitty-pat. Honestly, though, despite his years at General Hospital, and his current return to Port Charles, he's a much better singer than actor.

Are any of your youthful guilty pleasures still favorites now? Or do you pretend like you never liked them?

I've rather lost track of them. I still love to listen to the old music of theirs, but haven't kept up. My friend, Cathy, sent me Rick Springfield's latest album (or at least it was the latest a couple years ago) once, and I loved it (he can really rock, folks, seriously) and I think Duran Duran is back together and recording (yes, I liked them, too), but I just don't pay attention so much. As a teen, music was everything. Nowadays? Not so much. I find I gravitate to the music of my youth or the most part.
=========================

There were some pretty amazing thunderstorms in my neck of the woods yesterday and last night, but where I live has this odd "bubble" around it -- and we really didn't get hit too badly. All around us? You bet. Last night around ten, DH came it to close all the windows -- big storm coming, all red and orange on the radar, hail, winds... UGH. I'm thinking my garden is a goner, which would be a shame because ALL my veggies are doing well this year for a change -- I'm going to have more squash, cucumbers and tomatoes than I know what to do with!

Anyway... though we got some pretty amazing thunder (that DD slept through, thank heavens -- she usually ends up in bed with us), and it looked like a strobe light outside my window, and it did rain... we didn't get the really bad stuff! Woo!

The dog DID get up around 1 a.m. and the thunder made it a little tough to sleep, but I probably got a solid five hours... one of these days, lack of sleep is going to take me down. But until then? I'm guzzling my coffee and hanging with you guys.

==========================

Your Dominant Intelligence is Linguistic Intelligence

You are excellent with words and language. You explain yourself well.
An elegant speaker, you can converse well with anyone on the fly.
You are also good at remembering information and convincing someone of your point of view.
A master of creative phrasing and unique words, you enjoy expanding your vocabulary.

You would make a fantastic poet, journalist, writer, teacher, lawyer, politician, or translator.


Well, thank goodness for that! Last time, the closest I came to 'writer' was 'editor'...

6 comments:

Dru said...

Your post took me back. Wham, Tears For Fears, Pat Benatar, Blondie, Fine Young Cannibals, The Bangles were some of my favorite music.

Anonymous said...

Heh. I just spent my birthday last weekend seeing one of my youth's guilty pleasures in concert--Prince. But now that I'm older and see how creative and innovative he is, I no longer think of him as a guilty pleasure.

And yes, it was a fantastic concert!

Brandy said...

I remember alot of the music my parents listened to (one of them is how I received my name!). I don't remember Wham! much, but I remember Fine Young Cannibals, Wilson Phillips, Posion, Motley Crue and others. (My musical tastes are eclectic.)

Thanks for the stroll through memory lane!

Anonymous said...

We're twins again today. :)

anno said...

First one blogger today referred to turning 30 as becoming geriatric, and now you tag Jim Croce and Neil Diamond as hopelessly uncool 70s stuff. Sigh. Today is just not my day.

I LOVED Neil Diamond, and I secretly listened to Herb Albert & The Tijuana Brass. But I knew better than to confess it; I also went to Bruce Springsteen & Doobie Brothers concerts. Every high school dance ended with Stairway to Heaven.

Jen said...

Happy B'day Marianne!

I listened to Herb Alpert, too - Whipped Cream was one of my all-time fave albums. My "cringe" music is Grand Funk Railroad and Deep Purple! Guess I'm older than you ;-)