Saturday, April 01, 2006

Something To Talk About

"There is only one thing in the world worse than being talked about, and that is not being talked about." -- Oscar Wilde

Yesterday, I opened up my email and found a comment that was made on this blog from someone whose name rang a bell, but because my brain is on strike, I couldn't place it.

Until I read the comment.

It was from Raeanne Thayne, an author I thanked a month or so ago for writing the first book I've enjoyed in quite some time.

She'd Googled her name (yes, we all do it!) and found the entry on my blog .

I was tickled at first, but then realized that I talk about authors a lot on here, books I've enjoyed or not enjoyed. And sometimes I forget that they are both human and curious. I wonder if other authors have Googled their names and stumbled across my comments.

Occasionally, they haven't been as kind as my comment for Ms. Thayne. I criticized the most recent release from a very well known author a few months back -- did she see it?

I'm the kind of person who seldom says something about someone unless I'm willing to say it to their face, so that doesn't worry me so much. Still, it always hurts when someone says something not so kind.

So, perhaps instead of the quote I have at the top, I should post this one (and then try to live by it!):

I resolve to speak ill of no man whatever, not even in a matter of truth; but rather by some means excuse the faults I hear charged upon others, and upon proper occasions speak all the good I know of everybody. ~Benjamin Franklin

No comments: