Wednesday, April 19, 2006

For Every Action...

"There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are." -- W. Somerset Maugham

I'm puttering forward on revisions for Camilla. Trying to figure out how she changes by the end, because that seems to be an important thing for writing. Your characters actually have to grow. And, to make matters worse, they need to change for the better. Can you imagine?

And *&^% motivation. Ugh. Why can't writing just be like life. I know, I know -- even when it doesn't seem that we have motivation (in real life) for our actions, we do if you dig deeply enough.

Maybe I should pay closer attention to me and my actions just for fun. See why I behave the way that I do. Although the few times that I have based anything on my life, I've gotten feedback that says "that would never happen" or "that's improbable" ... the last one I got when I fictionalized how hubby and I met. I didn't think it was that weird.

Guess I should have paid closer attention in all those pysch classes I took. I do remember my hierarchy of needs. Does that count?

Okey-dokey. Off to edit some more. Try to make my characters even more real. I want them to leap off the page.

But most of all, I want them to make sense.

No comments: