Sunday, April 09, 2006

Bless Maass...

Bless Donald Maass. I know, I know, I was cursing him not so long ago. But the guy and his workbook have really made me dig deep and think. Now there's a shocker!

I had this breakthrough on Camilla yesterday and it's all because of him. It started out as a typical workbook question: What is something your character would never say, do or think? Now, make a situation where your character must say, do or think that thing.

Once I got past the really, really extreme examples (and some of you know what I'm talking about!), I moved in to the realm of possiblities. And once I got my brain really awake and moving... other things started popping in there that had nothing to do with his questions.

I thought of a dozen ways to deepen my characters and make them unique. Ways to up the "funny" in the story without making it slapstick. Some great new scene ideas popped up.

And, for the first time in a long time, I'm excited to write in Camilla again.

2 comments:

Ceri Hebert said...

Thats awesome! Then the book was definitely worth it, just for that exercise alone. I know what you mean. When I was doing the exercise yesterday I was trying to avoid really extreme situations and try to stay within the realm of Krista's possibilities, like drinking.

Thanks for your input on my blog. I think you're right. Maybe I'll find that private blog though. Great idea.

Charity Tahmaseb said...

Yay, you! That’s great news. The thing I’ve noticed is when you finally break through on this Maass stuff, it feels right, you get excited (or at least I do--maybe you've noticed). Even if it means more work. That’s one reason I’m saving it all until the end and making the revisions then.