Saturday, February 11, 2006

Why is Humor Funny?

As you may know, I've been on a search for my funny bone the past few days. I think it's playing the "...hotter, hotter, hotter, boiling hot! Ooooh... ice cold" game with me.

I decided yesterday to read the queen of romantic comedy again. So out came "Getting Rid of Bradley" by Jennifer Crusie. I am trying not to get sucked into the plot (even though I've read this book half a dozen times, it's still hard) and trying to pay attention to what makes the book funny.

Hair color and "dead dog" aside, it's all about what's going on inside the brains of the characters. I mean, some strange and funny stuff happens, but mostly it's about the character's (stupid - that's meant for me, so don't take it personally, please).

She's the master of creating original and quirky characters (I bow to you, Jenny). It's not slapstick or physical humor, though that figures in a little, but it's subtle.

It's the "While You Were Sleeping" kind of humor, where you get totally wrapped up in the people and who they are, and -- although the events serve to move the storyline forward, it's really about how the characters respond to the events, not the events themselves.

Does that make any sense?

Incidentally, reading Jenny Crusie for homework has to be one of the most enjoyable assignments I've ever had. And now I must return to it.

No comments: