Sunday, February 05, 2006

Sleep.... sweet sleep....

I'm an early bird. Getting up in the very early morning is the perfect thing for me -- most of the time. Every now and then, I'd like to sleep in, ya know, until...oh... 5:30 or so.

It's not to be. I have my pets programmed now for a 4 a.m. wake up that I can ignore at my own peril. At 4 a.m., the cat jumps down from the bed. If that doesn't wake me (though it usually does, as I'm a very light sleeper), she heads into the master bath, pops her paws under the cupboard door and pulls it out about an inch, then lets go. *thump* And again. *thump* Until I jump out of bed and chase her out of the room, by which time I'm wide awake and might as well get up anyway.

If it's not her, it's the dog. Around 4 a.m., she'll get up and stretch with a lovely groan (she's getting old, like me, so I completely understand) and then shake -- normally not a loud event, except she has a collar on with a rabies tag and a dog license... ding-a-ling-a-ling.

And if that doesn't get me up, she comes to my side of the bed and stares at me. Just. Stares.

I guess I should be grateful that she doesn't lick me to wake me up, though that might be next on the agenda. I seldom make it past the staring stage.

Pets.

Gotta love 'em.

But at least they get my butt out of bed and on the computer to write, write, write! I'll have to mention them in my dedication.

No comments: