Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Weight...

I scared myself today -- I stepped on the scale!

DH mentioned last night that DD was looking a little... robust. I didn't disagree, but I felt a bit more robust than usual myself. I sat down with DD (because he can't -- she falls to pieces when he talks to her about anything) and discussed how BOTH of us were going to start a new eating and exercise regimen effective immediately.

First order of business was hitting the scale. She has to do so when she wakes up the a.m.

I hate doing it. I don't want her to feel fat the rest of her life (I did, after my drama teacher saw me eating a candy bar once and strongly suggested I not do that anymore and once, at high school age, my step father said to me -- as I reached for a second helping of potatoes, "More for you, my plump little dove?"), but the truth is, she runs to being heavy, has "heavy" genes on both sides of the family and I don't want her to have to start her life on the heavy side.

It's not the weight, per se, or even how she looks -- it's all about health. Healthy heart, healthy blood, healthy joints. Too much weight or not-so-great food can affect all of those things.

It's my fault. She tends to love, Love, LOVE carbs of all kinds -- bread, pasta, potatoes, sweets -- and loads up on them. She eats good foot, too. Loves fruits and veggies. But it's the unhealthy stuff that's going to get to her.

So after weigh-in today, we both start keeping food diaries to become more aware. After this week of doing so, we'll move on to adjusting what we eat (though I think writing it all down will start with that ... there's something about actually making a notation that says "Three sugar cookies" that is frightening.

Exercise is tougher. I get cold very, very easily (doctor blames it on my extremely low blood pressure) so walking, hiking, etc., in the winter here is tough. But I'm going to have to figure it out, because if I go, she'll go.

I should drop at least 20 pounds, and even then I'll be 25 pounds heavier than I was when I was married, which is frightening. I need to do it for my knee, more than anything. I'd like to keep from having surgery at all costs, and carrying less weight will help.

It's a cliche to try to lose weight at the New Year. But I'm not so much looking at this as a New Year's Resolution. The timing is coincidental. I need this to be a permanent lifestyle change for the both of us.

====================



Your Name is Gray



Your name tells people that you are calm and level headed. Your name makes you seem honest and fair.

You are able to look at things clearly and without emotion. You tend to remain neutral in most disputes.

People see you as reliable and trustworthy. You treat everyone equally, and you don't tend to have any prejudices.

You are naturally calculating and even a bit cunning. You don't like to show your cards too early in the game.



Yeah. That's very true.

=============

5 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

It's tough. I didn't start putting on the weight until I was 45. It's been a constant battle since then.

Although Murray being so sick has been a great diet aid. LOL. Stress always makes me forget about eating.

Now that he's eating again, I'm hungry too. :)

Angelina Rain said...

Good luck on your weight loss goal. I stepped on the scale too and was more then shocked at what I saw. I'm a stress eater and 2011 was a very stressful year for me, so now I have to drop almost half my body weight.

Charity Tahmaseb said...

Personally, I hate the scale as a motivator. And while eating healthy is a good thing, exercise covers a multitude of sins--and does so much more for you than simply maintain a healthy weight.

Have you read Spark: The Revolutionary New Science of Exercise and the Brain by John Ratey? I've always been big on exercising, but this sold me on it.

Do you have a spot in your house where you could exercise? You could check your library for exercise/dance DVDs and use your laptop (I use a portable DVD player--same idea) and workout indoors during the winter.

Just some thoughts. I hope you find something you both enjoy!

Brandy said...

Daughter has gained about twenty pounds in the last year and her Doctor has mentioned it. He made her feel bad and for that I could smack him. She's very active (MA and her job require it), but still needs to lose a little weight. We, too, have had a talk and she's agreed to fit even more exercise into her week and I've been educating her on all the different snacks she loves that are SO bad for her.
Charity mentioned some good ideas for exercising. You can even use your stairs and exercise bands take up little space, because you need to use strength training as well as cardio for exercise.

Best wishes for your new healthy goal!

Quiz Results: Your Name is Red
Your name tells people that you are powerful and intense. Your name makes people take you seriously.
You stand out in a crowd and command attention. You can't blend in - and you would never try to or want to.
People see you as a bit of a wild card. You're well known for being passionate, and you can be a bit dangerous at times.
You inspire strong feelings in others. People either totally love you or totally despise you. There usually isn't much in between.
Hahahahaha! NO way!

I hope you have a nice day!

Dru said...

Do you have a nearby mall? It's a great place early in the morning to do some walking, especially in bad weather.

I've been lazy this holiday season in terms of exercising and eating right, but I'm back on track today.

Your Name is White

Your name tells people that you have good intentions and a pure heart. You try to always speak the truth.

You are happy to step back and let other people shine. You don't seek attention or acclaim.

People see you as someone who is generous and ethical. You can be counted on to do the right thing.

You are bright and clear headed. You can offer a fresh perspective, especially when other people are in a rut.


This is 95% accurate.

Have a great day.