Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Gunshots, Guest Blogs and Goofy Dogs

So ... I got a text early this morning from my mom: "Police standoff at (her apartment complex name). Tear gas canisters. More shots just heard."

Yeah -- that's enough to stop my heart.

Thing is, she's in a really nice complex off the beaten path. It's not a place you picture police standoffs happening. However, someone robbed a bank at gunpoint in town yesterday evening (my bank, actually, in a strange turn of events, especially since I was there a little earlier in the day) and apparently the cops identified him and went to serve a warrant. It seems he took offense. With his gun.

Thankfully, he's in a completely different building than my mom. But still -- oy vey. There's tear gas and SWAT teams... Even in a little teeny town in a rural state, bad things happen.

In other news ... DD and I are featured today at Maria Zannini's blog during her DIY Christmas series. It's not up as I write this post, but I'm sure it will be soon. We show you how to make a very simple, but pretty, pair of Christmas earrings. And, we're giving that pair of earrings away to someone who comments on the post, so go visit! She has a pile of other folks there, too, and many have giveaways (nevermind the cool recipes and craft ideas). You should check it out.

Dakota nearly stopped my heart yesterday. We were outside with a neighbor and her dog when the FedEx truck lumbered up the street. For some reason, Dakota decided she didn't want that truck on our road and ran in front of it, barking. Thankfully, the driver was paying attention, wasn't going that fast and stopped before he hit her. But, he didn't let me get to her before he started again, and she decided to chase him down the road. She finally came back to my frantic screaming authoritative recall command and was in BIG trouble.

Took about an hour for the adrenaline to recede.

==================




You Speak General American English!



55% General American English



20% Yankee



15% Upper Midwestern



10% Dixie



0% Midwestern




The 20% Yankee must be from living here the past 13 years ... and I admit to using "y'all" despite being from California, hence the 10% Dixie. I did live in Colorado (the midwest) so something must have rubbed off on me there, too. Sheesh.

=================

4 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

Holy, moley! Between the gunshots and Dakota, that would be enough to rattle my nerves.

Bad Dakota for giving mommy a heart attack. Iko does this to me still.

I'm so excited to have you on today! The post is scheduled to come up at 7am cst. Thank you for doing this!

Brandy said...

Whew! You had quite the day! I hope today is much calmer for you.
I'll be sure to check out your earring post.

You Speak General American English:

50% General American English

25% Yankee

20% Dixie

5% Upper Midwestern

0% Midwestern

Too funny about the Yankee, I guess my mom rubbed off on me. *g* Duh, on the Dixie. *g* I have NO idea where the upper midwestern came from.

Best wishes for a CALM day!

Oh, how did the lunch and shopping trip for your Daughter's class go?

Tori Lennox said...

Yikes! What a day! Hugs!!!

Dru said...

That is scary. Glad he was captured.

You Speak General American English:

50% General American English

25% Yankee

15% Dixie

10% Upper Midwestern

0% Midwestern