Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Christmas Spirit

I've struggled to get into the Christmas spirit this year for a large number of reasons. It's been so bad that when I hear Christmas music on the radio, I've switched the channel.

So yesterday, I purposely turned on an "all Christmas" radio station and listened, hoping to hear some of my favorites. It saddens me when it's pretty much all secular music. Yes "Grandma Got Run Over By a Reindeer" makes me laugh, but I don't even think you have to be Christian to enjoy songs like this:



Or this:



I love this song, too:



Or this one -- and I loved this version when he sang with his wife and daughters:



This one is for my husband who, when he was stationed in San Diego in the navy made this song his mantra at Christmas:



Help me get into the Christmas spirit -- what are some of your favorite songs?

====================




Your Home Means Simplicity



You start every day fresh. You are optimistic about what's to come.

You like your home to be functional but not fussy. More stuff just means more cleaning.



You believe in taking it easy. Whenever possible, you don't set yourself up for failure.

You rather do less and have less because it means you'll be happier. You are a proud minimalist.



This is mostly wrong...

====================

6 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

"Grown Up Christmas Wish" is one of my all time favorite songs. :)

I've always liked Alabama's "Can I Buy These Shoes"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMSUZOm9FKk&feature=related

Another I like, not strictly Christmas is "Angels Among Us"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB7mDvfLhrg&feature=related

Charity Tahmaseb said...

I streamed A Charlie Brown Christmas (the album from the show) and The Nutcracker (the ballet) while we were decorating the tree the other day. That seemed to do the trick for me.

Marianne Arkins said...

Maria, I love The Christmas Shoes (though it's actually sung by a group called NewSong). Makes me cry every time (in a good way).

And Angels Among Us ROCKS! Thanks for reminding me. :-)

Charity, love the Nutcracker. Not as big a fan of the music from Charlie Brown, though I do have a pile of love for the show!!

Brandy said...

I love O' Come, O' Come, Emmanuel, Carol of the Bells and God Rest Ye Merry Gentleman.
Like you I haven't really felt much in the Christmas spirit this year.
My quiz results were the same as yours and it's about 50% correct.

I hope you have a marvelous day!

Tori Lennox said...

Some of my favorites are O Holy Night, Angels We Have Heard On High, Sleigh Bells, Winter Wonderland, Jingle Bell Rock.

Dru said...

I like the silly ones...Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeers, I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Clause, Jingle Bell Rock.