Monday, December 05, 2011

Of Pies and Men

I had a remarkably quiet, relatively drama free weekend. I could use more like that. Did a little Christmas shopping with my mom and DD. Cleaned some house. Did some work. But about midday yesterday I realized that I hadn't felt stressed out in a significant way all weekend. That's seriously unusual and I'm very grateful.

On Saturday, DH went to a friend's house to do some auto repair stuff (he was welding a part for another friend). Turns out that the friend had baked bread and a pie! My DH was suitably impressed to the point he took pictures of it and showed me.

Last night, not to be outdone, my DH decided he had to bake a pie as well. He kept asking me questions and I finally told him it was HIS pie and handed him my 1952 Better Crocker cookbook where everything is from scratch, got him the pastry cutter and pastry mat and let him work.



He was so intent and determined to make it the best pie in the world (he's still convinced that he succeeded -- it's amazing how much a little sweat and blood contributes to the flavor of your food). Honestly, he really did do a great job, and I told him he could bake ALL pies from now on.

Here's the crust... pretty good, huh?



He made pumpkin pie, btw. The recipe in Betty Crocker was for two crusts, so we ended up with two pies. A little heavy on the cloves, but otherwise very tasty.

Still no word from Samhain. *sigh*

How was your weekend?

===========================




You Are the Recipe Creation



You try to keep things open. You dislike committing to people.

You are self-contained and self-sufficient. You know how to take care of yourself.

You are a risk taker. You love to roll the dice on everything.

You have high morals and live life right. You have great confidence in yourself and others.



About 50/50...

========================

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

There is nothing sexier than a man who bakes. :)

Maria Zannini said...

I wish my pie crusts looked as good. :)

Angelina Rain said...

Bring that pie over here! Yum.

I'm glad to year you've had a great weekend. Mine was pretty good. I used to always be stressed out on weekends when I was married, my husband and I constantly fighting. Now this was my FIRST single weekend and I was very relaxed. I went out Saturday night with some friends so I was a bit hungover on Sunday, but besides that I LOVED my weekend too.

Don't feel bad about not getting a response yet from Samhain. I subbed a partial to a publisher back in July. They said they respond in 4 weeks. I didn't get any answer so I stopped writing the story. I got a full request for that book this weekend. That's like what, 6 months later?!

Tori Lennox said...

Yes, get him to bake all the pies from now on! :)

Melissa McClone said...

Oh, wow. Pumpkin pie! Yum!

My weekend was busy. And I had no pie.

Hugs on the wait.

Dru said...

Crossing fingers you'll hear something soon.

Brandy said...

If I cross my eyes will that count, too? Hoping you hear something soon!
Your hubby baked a pie? Mine will do cinnamon rolls, but that's it. That pie sounds yummy!
Glad to hear your weekend went well!

Hope your Monday was low-key!