Thursday, December 29, 2011

Sacrifice

Some days I see things that make me feel awed a bit. I didn't have a good day yesterday, due to a great number of things so maybe, emotionally, things hit me differently.

It was FREEZING here in the afternoon (still is) and extremely windy, so I was taking the dog out on a different side of the house, through the back garage door, so that I wouldn't have to stand in the wind and weather while she puttered around looking for the exactly right place to pee.

I looked up and saw this on the squishy, padded weather stripping -- it's where it won't be exposed to the bad weather (except when I open the door) and it was one smart mama who put it there.



Yes, it's a spider egg sac, and yes, I'm leaving it right where it is. I hope it hatches a hundred spideys in the spring so they can help keep the insect population down a bit.

But that wasn't what touched me... it was what was just below the egg sac. It's all very "Charlotte's Web":



Mama stayed there with her egg sac, protecting it until she couldn't anymore. Good mama.

And then that made me think of this article I saw online yesterday:

Idaho Teen With Cancer Trades Her Life for Her New Son

So whenever I think things are hopeless, I can remember the good things people do at the risk of their own lives. People and, apparently, spiders. *G*

The world is an abundantly cruel place and nature especially so, but there is beauty and kindness and love that can be found if we just know where to look.

======================




You Are "Carpe Diem"



You are very open to the world. You try to say yes to as many opportunities as possible.

You are a pleasure seeker. You're a bit of a hedonist, and you enjoy the finer things in life.

You are easily distracted. There's so much going on in the world, and you think focus is overrated.

You are energetic and lively. You stay high-energy throughout the day.



This couldn't be more wrong...

==============

2 comments:

Maria Zannini said...

I don't think it's a coincidence that most of my books revolve around the theme of sacrifice. It's very important to me, and it puts life in perspective.

Brandy said...

I read the story from the link and it brought tears to my eyes. Sacrifice whether it be large or small is an example of pure love. My belief, anyway.
I hope today is better for you. Big warm hugs for you.

Blessings!