Monday, June 19, 2006

And I Call Myself a Romance Writer?

Gravitation is not responsible for people falling in love. ~Albert Einstein

I watched "Four Weddings and a Funeral" this past weekend. I'd heard so much about it and I enjoy Hugh Grant's dry humor ("Notting Hill" was a wonderful movie - I could have cut Julia Roberts out and just watched the interaction between all the Brits and been happy), so I decided to give it a go.

I hated it.

Oh, his humor was spot on, but the love story? Sucked.

IMHO (she said humbly).

Seriously... Hugh and Andie (who was a TERRIBLE actress in this movie..UGH) meet for a quick bout of sex every six months or so, and decide they're in love? Puh-leez. I wasn't buying it for a minute. I kept waiting for them to actually have a conversation. Didn't happen until the very end when they profess their undying love.

Am I the only one who doesn't buy the whole "love at first sight" stuff? Am I the only one who will accept a three day courtship in a novel or movie, but require a bit of soul-searching and conversation? Am I the only one who doesn't believe that "love conquers all"? Am I really a romance writer?

Relationships are work. Hard work. Any relationship: friends, siblings, marriage. And, except for family, you have to want to be together which usually requires common ground somewhere. So the idea of a lightning bolt, love at the moment our eyes meet thing doesn't fly for me.

Instant attraction? Absolutely. We've all been there, right? But love? Uh-uh. That takes more than the meeting of a couple sets of orbs.

Please tell me that I'm not the only one who feels this way...

3 comments:

Ceri Hebert said...

My goodness, what a cynic you are!!!! I'm kidding. I could never get into that movie either. I'm not a huge Hugh Grant fan anyway, though there's a few movies that I like him in. He nearly always plays a cad. Wouldn't it be nice if that lightning bolt realization really existed. Lust at first sight, maybe, but not love. At least not the lasting kind.

I'm trying to think if I've ever written a LAFS story. I don't think I have. If I have, just kick me. Oh, that sounds so sad.

idbbde-I don't believe blabbering dolts either.

Wow, that one was rather easy

MJFredrick said...

LOL - I didn't see the big deal about the movie, either. And both of them were in love with an ideal, not the real person.

Charity Tahmaseb said...

What I really disliked about that movie--and there was a lot to dislike--was the way the little group made fun of one of the secondary characters. What did they call her? Duck face or something like that. It wasn’t funny, it was cruel. Reminded me of high school or junior high. And, to top it off, it’s this character that the Hugh Grant character leaves at the fricking altar.

Excuse me? Not romantic, not in the least. The premise of the story is intriguing. There’s a lot you could do, story wise, with four weddings and a funeral. I think it’s a case of people getting caught up in that rather than the execution.