Monday, April 25, 2011

Weekend Weather, Woes and WingDings

A daughter may outgrow your lap, but she will never outgrow your heart. ~Author Unknown

So ... we had an eventful weekend (there is an ancient curse: "May you live in interesting times." ... someone must have chanted that over us).

It snowed here on Saturday. SNOWED. A lot. We got a couple inches accumulation through the day. But then, nearing evening, it warmed and turned to rain. But morning, the snow was gone and it was WARM. Really warm. Warm enough to open the house. We had a good 20 degree change in the temps. Spring in New England is so weird...

Friday, DH went to play hockey like always -- I've always wished him well by telling him not to do all the things he's done before: "Have fun. Don't take a skate blade to the face or a puck anywhere." He has a scar on his chin from a blade slice that required 6 stitches and took a puck in the ankle about six months ago -- which doesn't sound THAT bad until you realize that a solid, hard object traveling upwards of 60+ MPH hit him. He could barely walk for a week and didn't play hockey for almost a month. Now I have something else to add...

Friday night, I went to bed (he plays until the wee hours occasionally) and fell asleep. Next thing I know, the bedroom door opens. I sit up, see no one. Then I hear DH's voice, "Don't we have crutches?" I adjust my gaze downward and there he is on the floor.

Seems he'd been skating full speed down the ice, was approaching the boards and went to do a "hockey stop" -- where you cock your skates to the side a bit. He's done it fine thousands of times, but for whatever reason, this time his feet went out from under him and he slammed, foot-first, into the boards. Going ... what? 30 MPH? More?

:::shakes head:::

Yes, he drove himself home. Yes, he crawled up the stairs. No, he hasn't gone to the doctor (and he's too big for me to force). We *think* it's badly sprained. He can walk on it ... sort of. He can move it up and down, but not side-to-side and wiggle his toes. It's badly swollen, but not bruised (except for lines of bruising down the base of his foot... I wonder if that's from his skate?).

Made for a fun, fun weekend.

DD turned twelve on Sunday -- I told her the whole world was celebrating her birthday. *G*

Except for having a grouchy, injured father around she had a good time. I got her two model horses, and she also got a Michaels GC, some clothes, a watch, notecards with a seal and sealing wax (she LOVED this!) and, of course, some cold, hard cash.

We went to the in-laws for Easter and she got to play with her cousins, which she LOVED. All in all, a good day for her.

I can't believe she's TWELVE.

And, as proof that spring is finally here:


Yes, I painted my toenails. *G*

How was your weekend?

====================




You Are a Green Peep



You have a restless spirit, and it keeps you curious about the world.

Everything is up in the air for you. You just go where the wind takes you.

You see things how they are, and luckily, things are pretty great. You are an optimistic realist.

You need to understand what's going on with someone before you can truly empathize with them.


Peeps are just nasty ... :::shudders::: ... but this quiz is pretty close to right.

====================

8 comments:

MJFredrick said...

Happy birthday to DD!! I think your dh needs to have an x-ray. I didn't think my son had broken his wrist one time because he could still move it. After a night of crying, yep, broken.

Maria Zannini said...

Men!

Sometimes I think God mixed pig DNA with human to make men. Why else would they be so pigheaded?

Hope he recovers soon. The last time I had that bad a sprained ankle (I was skating too) it took me a couple of weeks to recover. But I was a teenager then and bounced back fast.

Sarita Leone said...

What a weekend! Wow!

Big birthday wishes to your daughter. I'm so glad she enjoyed herself.

But the hubby? OUCH! I am sorry he's hurt and I hope he reconsiders about seeing the doc.

I hope you have a peaceful day, my friend.

Jennifer Shirk said...

Wow! You had an exciting weekend! LOL
Happy Birthday to your dd!! Almost a teenager!

Melissa McClone said...

Happy Birthday to your DD. Easter birthdays are the best. Mackenna had hers on Easter a couple of years ago.

Brandy said...

Happy Birthday to your DD! Yesterday was my FIL's birthday, too!
I hope your hubs reconsiders going to the Doc, he could have torn ligaments or a fracture. But, men don't care much about logic, ever noticed that? *g*

I hope you have a great day!

Tori Lennox said...

Make that man go to the doctor!!! When I had the Broken Ankle From Hell, I thought it was just a sprain for all those same reasons!

Dru said...

How is DH? He really should go to the hospital.

Happy Birthday to DD!