Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Wednesday Rambling

Shipping is a terrible thing to do to vegetables. They probably get jet-lagged, just like people. ~Elizabeth Berry

So ... the hubs went to the doctor yesterday. We had to wait almost 45 mins (this drives me a little crazy -- if they make an appointment, we shouldn't have to wait. They should build in padding around them or something because it's just plain rude and inconsiderate), during which time he nearly got up an left.

He finally went in to the doc and then came out with a smirk. Uh oh...

Yep -- doc says it's only a bad sprain. She advised rest and elevation. She offered an inflatable cast, which he declined and she even said he was cleared for hockey in two weeks. He felt very vindicated and poo-poo'd my overreaction.

I'm glad it's nothing worse, but this will make it THAT much harder to get him to the doctor the next time something happens. Oh well...

He came home, and told his boss who immediately ordered him to work from home all week.

While I agree it's probably best, it really makes things tough around here. We'll see how much hair I pull out before next Monday...

I had a couple comments yesterday about making pickles. Jennifer Shirk mentioned wishing she knew how to make her own pickles and Ceri Hebert (the one to blame for getting me watching the "Extreme Couponing" show) said she might plant cucumbers to do her own.

First: making pickles is ridiculously easy. I used to grow my own dill, etc., but now I'm lazy and buy the seasoning packs. You use that plus salt to make your brine. You put the cucumbers into the jar, pour brine over the top and hot pack them. Poof... done.

Second: I learned from my first year making pickles that the best ones for eating (the long, skinny "burpless" kind, IMHO) are not good for making pickles (they get REALLY mushy). So I'll be planting two kinds of cucs this year: the burpless for eating fresh and the pickling cucumbers for making my pickles.

Sadly, my DH has decided he prefers store bought sweet relish over my homemade and I don't eat the stuff, so I have about ten jars that just sit there ... I'd give it away, but I want my jars! LOL... I'll figure something out some day.

Canned fruit and jam is also super easy to make, especially applesauce which I plan to make in massive quantities this year. I'll try to document it all on the Healthful & Homemade blog later in the summer.

Happy Wednesday!

===================




You Are Growth Oriented



You maintain your focus on your goals. No matter what, you're not going to let life distract you.

You can handle multiple projects and are always ready for another one. You love to multitask.

You are amazingly energetic. You don't just get second winds - you get third and fourth winds.

You always have a piece of advice or wisdom to share. You've learned a lot during your life.



HAHAHAHAHA... it's actually pretty darn close.

==================

8 comments:

Dru said...

Glad it was only a sprain but you're right it'll be harder to get DH to see a doctor.

You Are Patient

You tend to stick with relationships - through the good and the bad. You're stubborn that way.

You are willing to wait for someone to come around. You give lots of second chances.

You are a great listener and tend to give valuable advice. You know your friends well.

You have a lot of inner strength, and you can dig deep when you need to. You are resilient.


It's 90% accurate.

Have a good day.

Sarita Leone said...

I'm so glad it's nothing serious! And I hope your week with hubby at home goes well.

I love making pickles. I love to eat them, but it's also satisfying to be able to whip up a batch without much fuss.

Maria Zannini said...

If it's any consolation, eventually age will force them to reassess their invincibility.

Always fun to watch when they realize they are no longer super human. ;-)

Angelina Rain said...

My mom and grandma always make homemade pickles and sauerkraut. I guess I got spoiled on the homemade because I don’t even allow my hubby to bring store bought home, they smell disgusting and taste just gross. He’s never had homemade so this year I told him I’ll make some for him.

Brandy said...

I'm glad it was nothing more than a bad sprain. It's like pulling teeth to get them to the Doctor, you're right, it will be harder next time.

Out of all the things my Mom used to make/can she never made pickles. One of these days I need to learn to do that.

I hope you're having an awesome day!

Oh, and quiz results: You Are Considerate
You are highly effective in all areas of your life. You like to take on new challenges.
You are competent and capable. Your work is consistently high quality.
When it comes down to it, you're a practical person. You're only concerned with what works in life.
You are gentle and benevolent. Life is hard, so you're easy on people.

Tori Lennox said...

I'm glad it was nothing worse than a sprain but he still needed to get it checked. Men are so silly.

Ceri Hebert said...

Oh sure, and the doctor's offices always ask us to be on time. Who's "time" do they mean? Our doctor is very chatty, so she always goes over. And we discovered the other day (I went into the exam room with DH because sometimes I think of questions to ask that DH doesn't) our doctor speaks in a very loud voice. I'm sure patients on either side of us knew exactly what we were there for.

Glad I could get you into the couponing thing. It's very satisfying to get a good deal! So, gardening. I'm hoping the seed packets will tell me what kind of cukes are good for pickling. I'm also hoping to pick plenty of strawberries and make jam. Not sure when strawberry season is though *sigh*. So much to learn!

Melissa McClone said...

Glad dh only has a sprain. Good luck having him around the rest of the week!