Friday, May 26, 2006

Scams

Character is doing the right thing when nobody's looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that's right is to get by, and the only thing that's wrong is to get caught. ~J.C. Watts

In light of the recent and ongoing Barbara Bauer scandal (see yesterday's post) I got to thinking about scams.

A scam artist er, literary agent like Barbara Bauer must be an utterly unique individual. I would love to do backstory on a person who takes money from other people and doesn't follow through on the dream they promised.

Per Miss Snark, I checked out the Barbara Bauer Literary Agency webpage (and no, that link doesn't take you there) to see her list of clients and published books -- lists that any and all reputable agents will include on their site. Selling a book is something to be proud of, and it also proves your authenticity.

On the Barbara Bauer Literary Agency website, I found pictures of six books that she claimes are her clients work. One was published by a vanity press, two were published in the early 90's, one I can't read the author's name so can't locate the book and two are in foreign languages.

When I look for an agent in the coming months, I want to find someone who actually gets their clients books published. Call me crazy.

From the dawn of time there have been people who promise the world and bilk people out of their hard earned money (Barbara Bauer, please note that I'm not saying you're one of them... please don't send me your one billion dollar invoice).

I'm just saying... it's a shame that some folks think nothing of robbing people of their money and their dreams. You know?

No comments: