Sunday, May 07, 2006

A Mind of Her Own

"Writing is not a profession, occupation or job; it is not a way of life: it is a comprehensive response to life." -Gregory McDonald

I worked on my latest WIP yesterday. Used it for a prompt in my writing group. Named the main characters (this was HARD -- at first all of my names began with the same letter, and I was so sold on them that changing any of them was hard). I also discovered that this is a mystery. I had no idea until the lady living in my heroine's parents home told her.

Does this happen to you? Do your characters spring stuff on you unexpectedly?

Originally, this was simply going to be a secret baby mystery. Yup. One of those. Since half the latest releases (and most of the last thirty years releases) from Harlequin were something like "The Prince's Virgin Bride and her Secret Baby", I thought -- what the heck. Just for fun. I was going to save this book for NaNoWriMo this year. Still might.

Anyway, when my heroine came home yesterday, she found out her mom was murdered and everyone thinks her dad did it -- but he's disappeared, so they don't know for certain.

I've never written a mystery before. Wonder if I'm up for this...

3 comments:

Ceri Hebert said...

Sounds intiguing! Is it refreshing writing something new? I've been editing so much that I've forgotten.

I hate when I have characters with the same name. Most of the time I can avoid that with my main characters, but not with my secondary ones. PIA writing rules *grumble*

lmwalw-lemurs mind walking along like weasels

Anonymous said...

Do your characters spring stuff on you unexpectedly?

Oh, yeah. Not lately, but they've done it to me a lot in the past. :)

Ceri Hebert said...

I love it when they do things that are unexpected, unless I have some solid direction I'm heading and they decide to take a detour.

The Samhain editor let me know that she received the manuscript and is going to try to get back to me this week, but I might have to wait until the end of the month. Can we say pins and needles???

jjefgdp jolly jeff escapes fierce groups demanding pies