Tuesday, November 08, 2005

It Came From Beyond the Stars....

Actually, it came from inside my brain: Writer's Block!

I'm STUCK (stuck, stuck, stuck)!

I need to make 17,000 today and I have absolutely nothing to say.

Bangs head on desk

ARGH!

UPDATE

I went to the "dares" page in the NaNoWriMo forums -- the people that think up some of these things are just sick, but that's another story.

Anyway, I like the idea of this one to boost me out of my block:

Use the "random page" on wikipedia.org, and somehow include whatever comes up, be it quantum ohysics or a farmer rebellion in China in 1054.

Okay... here goes (hits the button) --

Texas Southern University is a historically black university in Houston, Texas, USA. The university was established on March 3, 1947 by the Texas Legislature and it was initially named Texas State University for Negroes. Prior becoming a state university, Texas Southern University was owned by the Houston Independent School District and had been known as Houston College for Negroes.

Huh.

That's going to take some thought, considering that my MC went to Wellsley College.

UPDATE #2

I did it! My MC may have gone to Wellsley College, but her nemesis didn't! She attended (drum roll please) Texas Southern University -- and this fact was talked about briefly in a recent conversation between Liv and Geoff.

Yay! I wrote 1,000 words!

UPDATE #3

It's 4:15 in the afternoon and I've managed to *almost* hit my daily goal. I'm at 16,544. I want to thank Charity and her "Wingman of Destruction". I also want to thank all the crazy folks at NaNo for their dares forum. I used three of them today, in a way that absolutely works in my novel, and that got my juices flowing.

Thank you, thank you, thank you...

1 comment:

Judy said...

Congratulations for getting past the block. You are doing great! I really enjoy the interactions so far. Keep it up :-)