Wednesday, November 23, 2005

All or Nothing?

I love to blog hop. It's probably the one thing, aside from my family, that keeps me from writing.

Lately, I've seen a preponderance of writers who are celebrating their sales. That's awesome for them, and I don't want to take away from their success in any way with what I'm about to say...

I want it all.

When (yes, when, dang it) I finally get a novel published, I want the brass ring, the whole tamale, every inch of the whole nine yards. I want to be published by a well known company. And I want my book in print.

I'm not trying to knock epublishing. I know lots of people who are certain this is the wave of the future... and they may be right. But it's not what I want for me. It feels like, well... settling.

It's hard (okay, next to impossible) to break into the big leagues. I recognize this. But I also know that, until I do, I won't feel like I'm really published.

So, it may take me a decade (and I hope my husband understands this part!), but I don't want to settle. I may feel differently if I accumulate piles of rejections, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it. In the meantime, I'm reaching for that brass ring.

First off, though, I suppose I'd better get writing.

I'm at 41,173 words on my NaNo book! 82% and climbing. I'm shooting for 45,000 today, and I might make it because Liv's life is going into the toilet, and there's nothing more fun than writing about other people's problems.

2 comments:

MJFredrick said...

Oh, thank you! I've been seeing the same thing and thinking, "What if..." but like you, I want to see my book on the shelves, hold it in my hand. I know just what you mean.

Angela's Designs said...

Ah! And I'm not writing now either! Hopping about on this lovely Thanksgiving Day, listening to the football game in the background thinking the computer is more interesting.