Wednesday, September 21, 2005

It's A Splat Kinda Day


About a million years ago -- back when I was twenty or so, I had a good friend who gave me the perfect description of one of those days when you're not up, you're not down, you're not anything: SPLAT.

Thanks to Tom "Odie" O'Dell, if you're reading this.

Today is one of those days.

In one of my writing groups, an assignment was posted as a way to remember why we write.

For this Thursday's prompt and pondering day, find one scene in your work in progress that you really feel good about, one you feel is really well written, one that makes you feel like a fiction writer.

Post a message reminding us what that scene is about, and tell us what you like about it, why you feel it is a good scene, why you feel good about having written it.

The purpose of this exercise is to counter the negative feelings we have from time to time that we are writing crap or that we are wasting our time writing. If we can write a wonderful scene, then we can do this. We can bring the other scenes up to that level. If we can write a really good scene, then we are doing exactly what we should be doing every time we sit down and work on our novels.

Extra credit if you want: What do you love about your protagonist.


I can't think of one scene to use for this assignment. And, right now, I hate my protagonist.

*splat*

I'm pretty sure it's not because I'm a lousy writer. I've had enough pats on the back from people I respect to realize that I'm not writing all crap. Today it just seems that way.

What do you do when you're splat? What's your no fail way of pulling yourself up by your bootstraps? I can use all the help I can get.

No comments: