Monday, September 26, 2005

The Eyes Have It


I'm getting old...

I've been putting off thinking about the big 4-0 that is looming not too far in the distance, but recently, my body has been poking at me, reminding me that I'm not a teenager any more.

I have way more aches than I used to. In fact, I can't stay in bed for more than 7-8 hours even if I wanted to because my hips ache. My mom has rheumatoid arthritis, and I'm hoping that's not genetic. Huh. Note to self: Check to find out if RA is genetic.

I'm not skinny. Not that I ever was, at least not for long periods of time, but now -- I can't drop the weight as easily as I used to be able to. I'm a food addict (okay, so technically, every is - but you get my point) and I'm allergic to real exercise, so that could be part of the problem. Still, I used to be able to get it off without too much effort on my part. No longer.

By far the worst thing that has happened, though, is that I'm having trouble with my eyes. EEEK! Aside from the fact that I write, and so am on the computer for hours each day, but my reading is being affected. I can't focus on anything up close. I have to close one eye to see clearly. Doesn't matter which eye, so I guess they just aren't on speaking terms anymore (I was 20/15 which is "better than perfect" eyesight, so I'm thinking that the 20 is jealous of the better than perfect 15 and is now taking it out on it).

Anyway, long story not as long, I took a break from the computer this weekend. And, miraculously, my headaches went away.

Time for an eye doc appointment -- but I really, really, don't want to concede to age. I'm going to try to some eye strengthening exercises first. Two reasons: 1. I don't want to rely on glasses - I'm spoiled, I like seeing without them; and 2. I'm cheap. My insurance, such as it is, doesn't cover eye exams or lenses. And I don't wanna put out the money for something I don't want anyway.

It stinks getting old.

P.S. This may mean that the blog won't be updated daily, since I need to ration my computer time and my poor critique partners got the raw end of the deal the past few days. Oh yeah. And my WIP, too. Please be patient :-)

No comments: