Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Has Anyone Seen My Joy in Reading?



I've discovered that the more I write - and take writing classes - the less I enjoy reading.

I love Nora Roberts. Nora is The Queen. Her characters are fleshed out, her plots are fun and interesting. I am never bored when I read Nora. But, I'm telling you right now, I want to SCREAM when she head hops.

There I am, sitting comfortably inside Jude's head, moving along happily when BAM! in pop Brenna's thoughts. ARGH!

Or when people walk slowly, talk loudly, sing shrilly... okay, these aren't specific examples, but I'm frustrated that the "bad habits" - adverbs, passive voice, head hoppping - that are being beaten out of me in writing classes show up constantly in published writing.

Now, I understand this: Nora could submit her grocery list for publication, and editors would snap it up. Same with Stephen King, Dean Koontz, Nicholas Sparks... and I'm surely not any of them.

But still..... ((whine, whine, whine))...

And why can't I make it through just one book, or even one chapter, without examining every blasted sentence for problems? I'm not their critique partner for crying out loud.

I just want to enjoy reading again. You?

No comments: