Thursday, April 23, 2009

Writing and Turkeys and Birthdays, oh my!

Because time itself is like a spiral, something special happens on your birthday each year: The same energy that God invested in you at birth is present once again. ~Menachem Mendel Schneerson

So... those of you who follow me on Twitter or Facebook know that I actually managed to write some words on Tuesday. Not very many, but I think they were good words. AND, they helped my solidify my H/H's first (and last) kiss from high school. You know, the one they NEVER TALK ABOUT. Yeah, that one. My poor hero, Zach, is obsessing about it on his drive to my heroine's place.

It felt amazingly good to write. I forget, sometimes, when I'm so busy I can't breathe how much I crave the action of putting words to paper (or letters to laptop screen). It's as though the tension builds in my brain and I have to let some out or run the risk of having my poor head explode.

It was only a few hundred words, but it helped. I need to do that again. I can't figure out how Zach is going to get Syndey to cooperate, so am stuck in that scene right now, but I think I'm going to hop ahead to the scene where Cori, Cori's mother, Syndey and Michah's mother are discussing the upcoming wedding (this story takes place just over a year since "Kitchen Matches"). I'm also considering the bachelor party. Hmmm.... dunno. But this story is going to be one I write out of order, that much is clear. To be honest, I don't care how it's written, so long as it IS written.

How about you? Do you write your stories in order? Or do you write miscellaneous scenes and them sew them together like a patchwork quilt?

===================

The wild turkey has visited my feeders every day this week. On Tuesday it stayed for nearly three hours! I think I'm going to buy it some cracked corn today. I'm a little afraid to get too attached: there are two turkey hunting seasons in NH and one of them starts soon.

Still, I think I need a name. I noticed that it has a "beard", and I've researched it and discovered that females don't -- not even little ones. I think he's a young tom, still finding his way in the world. Aside from the name, Tom, anyone have ideas?

=====================

Today, DD and I are celebrating her birthday. It's a day early, but tomorrow she is going fishing with her dad. We're going to run a few errands and walk the dog first thing so Dd is tired enough not to mind being crated for several hours. Then it's off to the mall.

She doesn't know it, but she's getting her ears pierced. I'd planned on waiting until she was 14 (like I had to wait!), but I really think she's ready and I know she'll remember it forever.

We're also going to Toys-R-Us to get her a bow and arrow set. She's been asking for one forever, and they sent her an ad book with a small set in there. We'll probably hit up AC Moore for some art supplies as well.

We'll browse (she loves to browse... that's my girl) and putter and then it's off to lunch at the Olive Garden.

I'd intended on taking her to a movie, too, but with the dog we can't do the mall and the movie, so we're going to Blockbuster and renting "Bedtime Stories". We'll pop some popcorn and watch it at home. The next best thing for her last day of being nine years-old.

What about you? Do you have any plans today?

======================

9 comments:

Sarita Leone said...

Happy Birthday! It sounds like you've got a wonderful day planned. Around here we celebrate Birthday Week, so I love it that the festivities begin early.

I hope to meet up with my mom for breakfast. Fingers crossed!

And I'm ignoring the snow flurries falling outside my window. Just saying.

Have a great day! :)

Jennifer Shirk said...

I caved in and got my daughter's ears pierced early too. :)

~~~

The story I'm working on now was the only one where I wrote the end scene before I was finished. Usually I write in order.

Maria Zannini said...

It's sweet that DD still wants to do stuff with her dad. :o)

Today: more painting, brush hauling and cleaning. Oh, to be twenty again. lol.

Dru said...

Happy Early Birthday to DD!

You and DD will have a wonderful day together. I just love that she's getting her ears pierced. She'll remember this day forever.

Have a great day!

Charity Tahmaseb said...

Uh, yeah. Miss B got her ears pierced for her last birthday--although she did use her birthday check from one grandmother for the actual piercing and a Target gift card from the other for earrings.

She did just fine with it. Hope you and your daughter have a wonderful day.

Brandy said...

Happy Birthday early to DD! I'm sure y'all will have a fabulous time today!

Ceri Hebert said...

HAPPY B'DAY TO DD!!! I love the Olive Garden! But unfortunately I have to strive to be good. Just got my invite for my 25th HS reunion.

I'm having such a hard time writing right now. Nothing is coming to me at all. Nothing from the wips I have going, nothing for the new one. I don't want to take a break, but I hate writing while I feel this creatively stale.

anno said...

Here's hoping you all enjoyed a fabulous day! Happy Birthday, DD!

Allie Boniface said...

I think I had to wait until I was 12...