Sunday, April 05, 2009

Update: Cunning Voles of Doom

If you're in a bad situation, don't worry it'll change. If you're in a good situation, don't worry it'll change. ~John A. Simone, Sr.

Yesterday, DD and I had a movie day. DH had to work, so we girls popped popcorn and watched "Bolt" (what a cute movie!) and "The Pirates Who Don't Do Anything" (which, as Veggie Tales goes, wasn't really up to par -- a few cute moments and funny jokes... I may have nightmares about cheese curls with teeth... but not as clever as I've come to expect).

Then we went outside for a bit, even though it was overcast and windy. DD and Dd played and I scooped poop (whee). As I made my way around to the back, I saw a VOLE. A gray, furry vole -- he ran right by me and under the deck into the rock wall. The little buggers have been eating the tops off of my crocus before they can bloom and probably have their eyeballs on the bulb part as well. The scary thing is, this means they are EVERYWHERE. And... and... and... all my neighbors have them, too!! Dakota found a vole body at her friend Bugsy's house and they live clear at the end of the road. And now that the snow has melted, I can see vole trails on HER neighbor's yard AND the people across the street from me.

Dear heavens.

I don't know what to do. I'm probably going to resort to poison, which I HATE. But I have to make sure I do it in such a way that Dakota doesn't find it. And I don't want to kill the chipmunks, either. And, once I get rid of mine, what's to stop the neighbors' voles from moving in?

DH said we should get an outside cat (and yes, Brandy, my kitty is an indoor one) at which point I reminded him: BEARS. Hello? Not to mention the fisher cat I know lurks out there. And, cat safety aside, I don't want the kitty eating my birds or chipmunks.

Maybe I'll just move into an apartment somewhere and not deal with the wildlife.

*sigh*

==========================

Last night I couldn't stop thinking about the "Kitchen Matches" sequel, which now has a working title of "Drive Me Crazy". I thought of scenes, dialogue, how to realistically transport an orphaned baby goat (I want to say "kid", but need to make certain folks understand it's the four-legged variety) across half the country, how my H/H can make each other totally nuts AND still fall madly in love.

It's fun.

I like it.

===========================




You Are Twitter



You are energetic to the point of being hyperactive. You are the ultimate multitasker.

You don't have much of an attention span for anything. You like things short and sweet.



You can't help but let everyone know what you're doing, even if it's just what you're having for dinner.

You are big on sharing what's going on in your life. If anything, you share too much!



The first part... mostly yes. The second? Not SO much...

===========================

4 comments:

Ceri Hebert said...

You Are Facebook
You are social, outgoing, and excited to connect to your friends.
You are interested in your friends' lives, and you enjoy adding your opinion to the mix.

While you enjoy sharing online, you don't want everyone to know your business. You value your privacy. Your life is an open book to those you know but not to strangers.

The first part no, the second part, kinda.

I'm worried about your CVoD and the chances of my mother having her own CVoD who'll attack our veggie garden. She says she has CMoD (moles)but not voles. What's the difference??

Have a good writing day! It's grocery shopping and closet cleaning for me. Whoopie

Dru said...

You Are Facebook

You are social, outgoing, and excited to connect to your friends. You are interested in your friends' lives, and you enjoy adding your opinion to the mix.

While you enjoy sharing online, you don't want everyone to know your business. You value your privacy. Your life is an open book to those you know but not to strangers.
The second part yes, but not so much the first part.

It sounds like you guys have an epidemic of voles.

I like your working title "Drive Me Crazy". It's a book that I would love to read.

Have a great Sunday.

Tori Lennox said...

I'm Facebook, too. Which reminds me I need to go update there. *g*

Brandy said...

I was twitter, but I don't even have an account with any of them! *G*
Sorry to hear about the CVoD. I hope you find a way to clear them out.
You sound so excited about your story! WTG! I like the title you've chosen.

I hope you have a pleasant day!