Saturday, April 11, 2009

The Best of Times, the Worst of Times...

It's spring fever. That is what the name of it is. And when you've got it, you want - oh, you don't quite know what it is you do want, but it just fairly makes your heart ache, you want it so! ~Mark Twain

Ahhh... SPRING. How I love thee, and hate thee...

I love the colorful birds at my feeder. The goldfinches are bright yellow again, and I can look forward to the red-winged blackbirds and orioles returning.

I love green growing things and the promise they make as the begin to push up out of the thawing earth.

I love the thought of flowers and butterflies and home-grown tomatoes.

I love the bright sunshine, longer days and warm weather.

I love leaving my windows open and airing out the house.

I love being able to walk around barefoot.

...

I do NOT love the mud.

I do NOT love the black flies who are beginning to awaken. They are out now, but only the males who hatch first and do not bite. They are the advance guard, warning us their mates--their vicious, nasty, biting little mates--will arrive soon.

I do NOT love having to bring my bird feeders in at night to keep them out of the clutches of our bear.

I do NOT love ticks on the dog. My Dd has every issue known to dogdom and can't use chemical flea and tick repellents. I use an all-natural one that smells amazing, but it only repels, it does not kill, and it just isn't as effective. So, yes, Dd has already had her first embedded tick.

I do NOT love the waiting period between thaw and being able to plant. Our growing season for "tender" plants officially begins on Memorial Day.

....

Despite my love/hate relationship with the season, I wouldn't skip it for anything.

=================================




You Are a Drawing



You appreciate things that are simple and elegant.

You believe that complexity is mostly used to mask flaws.



You believe that art is about leaving more to the imagination.

The best art isn't overly showy or flashy. It subtly beautiful.



Very true....

Many moons ago, I dated a man who was the director of a local corporate art gallery -- they had mainly modern art, which still confuses me. I went to a showing with him and brought a friend who really loved art. I can remember standing in front of an abstract with the two of them saying things like, "I see anger..." and I finally piped in and said, "I see dots."

*G*

============================

6 comments:

Ceri Hebert said...

LOL I never ever understood modern art. I took an art class in college (where everything was modern and abstract). I did a drawing with a mish-mosh of faces because I wasn't inspired by the project. My teacher loved it. I just thought "huh?" Give me Renoir over Picasso any day. Winslow Homer over Van Gogh.

We're heading deep into mud and black fly territory tomorrow. Of course our van may sink into a mud hole and we'll never be seen again, so this could be goodbye :)

Dru said...

I had a good laugh over your comments "I see dots".

I can get wrapped up in art if it captures my attention. Sometimes I forget where I'm at if surrounded by paintings.

I hear you on your love / hate relationship with spring. I love the cool brisk air and the ocean breeze. I hate allergies.

re quiz: I'm a drawing and it is so true.

Have a good Saturday.

Sarita Leone said...

Ugh, the flies. They drive me nuts.

Love the dots! Too funny!

Hope you have a wonderful weekend. :)

MomJane said...

I don't miss the black flies and then....we get the deer flies. What fun.

I remember going to an art gallery and looking at some Renoir paintings. I had to sit down and just look for a while. THey are beautiful. I don't understand the modern junk at all.

I don't think that the following really fits me very much. A little perhaps.


You Are a Painting

You are a passionate person. You see the emotional undertones that others miss.
Compared to other people, you are sentimental. You allow yourself to feel everything.

Believe that art should capture the beauty and mood of a moment.
The best art speaks to your heart. It makes you smile, dream, or even cry.

Tori Lennox said...

I feel the same way about modern art. I just do not get it. I remember being at a museum once looking at this huge canvas and saying, "It looks like they just threw open paint cans at it". I mean, I could paint THAT well. *g*

Brandy said...

I hear you on Spring, I love the colors as the Earth awakens, but here we have mosquitos and they LOVE me. I can't go out without slathering on something to keep them off, and even then? I get bitten. And then there's the pollen..... Ugh.
I do not like modern (contemporary) art. I just can't get into it. I prefer Ancient Art. *G* And in your quiz, I was a Drawing as well.

I hope you have a fantastic day!